Last Updated on October 10, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
This instant pot chicken fried rice is a quick and easy all-in-one meal for lunch or dinner. Ready in no time, it tastes as good as takeout chicken fried rice!
But you don’t always need to order takeaway to enjoy Chinese food. It’s really easy to make a delicious instant pot fried rice at home itself. It’s literally one of the easiest instant pot chicken recipes there is!
This cheap homemade fried recipe makes enough for 4. Just multiply the quantity by how much you need, meal prep it for the week, and you can just reheat it to dish up some instant fried rice whenever you’re in a hurry for dinner.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
Most of the ingredients that you need to make this instant pot fried rice with chicken are available in your pantry.
- Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Broth
- White Rice
- Frozen Peas
- Frozen Carrots
- Vegetable Oil
- Soy Sauce
- White Pepper
- Green Onions (Optional)
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
Because chicken fried rice tastes delicious, you might find the idea of making it on your own difficult. But it’s really very easy to cook instant pot fried rice at home. Here’s how!
Step 1: Scramble the Eggs
Turn on the instant pot in sauté mode. Add some oil to the pot followed by the eggs. Whisk the eggs till scrambled, then remove them and set aside.
Step 2: Cook the Chicken and Rice
Add oil to the instant pot followed by the minced garlic and stir fry. Press cancel on the pot and add in the chicken broth.
Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom and remove residue garlic or egg. This will prevent a burn notice from the instant pot.
Add in the chicken and rice and mix well.
Close the pot, let it cook at High Pressure for four minutes, and to naturally release for 10 minutes after that.
Step 3: Add Seasoning and Vegetables
Add the soy sauce, salt, pepper, scrambled eggs, and frozen peas and carrots to the instant pot and mix everything together. Close the instant pot and allow the vegetables and eggs to become warm with the residual heat for about five minutes.
Once everything is warm, spoon the instant pot chicken fried rice into bowls and serve!
You can also top the fried rice with sesame seeds or green onions if you like. Serve with your favorite Chinese sauce!
Optional Serving Suggestions and Tips
- This instant pot chicken fried rice is also gluten-free!
- Serve with chicken spring rolls, chicken meatballs, or this broccoli salad!
- To get individual grains of rice like in the restaurant, use basmati rice or jasmine rice.
- You can switch up the recipe easily. Substitute the chicken with boiled shrimp, bacon, or fried beef strips.
- For a vegetarian alternative, try this easy fried rice!
- If you have the time, make these Chinese fortune cookies for dessert!
FAQs About Chicken Fried Rice
Fried rice is not as healthy as regular rice, but homemade fried rice is a lot healthier than takeaway since you can control the amount of oil you use. This recipe becomes even healthier when you use brown rice instead of white rice.
After scraping the bottom of the instant pot, add the rice to a bit of oil and saute for a minute before cooking. This will prevent the rice grains from getting mushy. Also, make sure you don’t add too much chicken broth while cooking. This varies depending on the type of rice you use.
Yes, if you want to make the fried rice spicy, add a teaspoon or two of paprika to the instant pot while cooking.
Yes, to make this recipe vegetarian, replace the chicken broth with a vegetable broth. And replace the chicken pieces with mushrooms or any other vegetable of your choice.
Yes, instant pot fried rice is the perfect recipe for meal prep. Just cook it ahead, cool it, and refrigerate. It will last for a week in the refrigerator, or up to 3 months in the freezer. Reheat before serving.
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for this Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice Recipe via the recipe card below.
If you love this recipe please leave a 5-star rating!
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound chicken breast uncooked and diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups white rice uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots thawed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 tablespoon of white pepper
- salt to taste
- sliced green onion optional for garnish
- Turn your instant pot onto sauté mode. Once your instant pot becomes hot, add 2 tablespoons to your pot. Add your two eggs, whisk well until scrambled. One scrambled remove and set aside.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of oil and add in your minced garlic. Just stir a little bit to release the flavor.
- Press cancel on your instant pot. Add in your broth. Taking a wooden spoon or strong spatula, scrape the bottom of your instant pot to remove any remaining residue from the egg and garlic. This will prevent the burn notice from turning on your instant pot.
- Add in your chicken and rice. Mix well.
- Close the lid on your instant pot and close the ceiling valve by pushing the valve away from you. Set your instant pot to high-pressure for four minutes.
- Once your instant pot is finished cooking, allow it to naturally release for another 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, manually released by bringing the valve toward you to release the pressure.
- Add to your rice the soy sauce, Seasonings, egg, and frozen peas and carrots. Mixed together. Put the lid back on the instant pot and allow the heat from the pot to warm your frozen vegetables and eggs. Allow them to warm for about five minutes.
- Once the vegetables have completely warmed, serve your fried rice with sesame seeds, and green onions! Enjoy
Need to run to the store first to grab some of the ingredients? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it easily later!