If you like Thai food, you’ll love these Instant Pot Thai Chicken Rice Bowls. The best thing about them is that since they’re made in the Instant Pot, they come together really fast and easy.
How to Make Instant Pot Thai Chicken Rice Bowls
One of the best features of the Instant Pot is that you can brown food in it so that you only have one dish to clean. We’re putting that saute function to use for this recipe.
Step One – Brown the Chicken
Add a little olive oil to your Instant Pot and choose the saute function. Once the pot is hot, add the chicken.
Sear it on both sides to seal in the moisture and give the breasts a nice brown coat.
Step Two – Prepare the Sauce
Next, you’ll create the secret sauce that makes this dish amazing. Combine all the ingredients in a liquid measuring cup.
Then, place the chicken in a glass pan and pour the sauce over the top.
Step Three – Pressure Cook
Add the rice to the Instant Pot (I use a long-grain rice like jasmine or basmati). If you use a different type of rice, refer to this guide to adjust the liquid and cooking time. Overall cooking time will be similar so chicken will be fully cooked with any of the rice methods.
Then add the chicken, including the marinade (just dump it out of the glass pan into the pot). Next, pour in the broth.
Set your Instant Pot to “Manual” (high pressure) and the time for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. Dinner’s ready! When you open the lid to your Instant Pot, you should see something like this:
But spooned into a bowl and topped with some shredded carrots, zucchini and peanuts, it’s transformed into this:
Instant Pot Thai Chicken Rice Bowls Recipe
Ready to make these amazing Thai Chicken Rice Bowls? Here’s the recipe! IMPORTANT NOTE: The original recipe (and the way I make it in my own home) called for 3 cups of broth. After MANY comments from people who have tried the recipe reporting that the consistency was too mushy, I’ve reduced the amount to 2 cups.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups broth
- ½ cup sweet chili Thai sauce
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce - to taste
- ½ Tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ Tablespoon ginger, minced
- ½ Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or hot sauce
- Cilantro, optional garnish
- Shredded zucchini, optional garnish
- Shredded carrots, optional garnish
- Peanuts, optional garnish
- Select the saute setting on your instant pot and add the olive oil.
- Sear the chicken breasts for 2-3 minutes on either side to seal in their juices. Remove to a glass baking dish (and turn off the instant pot).
- Mix the sweet chili Thai sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, lime juice and sriracha together.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken breasts and stir to combine.
- Place the rice in your Instant Pot and add the chicken and sauce over top.
- Add the broth and secure the lid.
- Select the manual pressure setting (high) and set the timer to 10 minutes. Natural release.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and then mix with the rice before serving.
- Garnish with cilantro, shredded veggies and peanuts. Serve with extra soy sauce to taste.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out some of my other Instant Pot recipes:
Latest posts by Corinne Schmitt (see all)
- How to Clean, Store and Chop Fresh Herbs: 3 Important Tips - July 28, 2017
- 25+Free Printables for Organizing Home Life - July 27, 2017
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob - July 26, 2017