I don’t believe in magic pills. You will never see an endorsement on this site for a “Lose Weight Fast” supplement. The simple truth is that the best way to protect your health and to reach and maintain a healthy weight is to eat right and exercise regularly.
However, I do believe that some healthy foods offer special benefits that can be conducive to helping you reach your weight loss goals more easily. I believe it because there’s a lot of research to back it up. Below are foods that have been shown to speed up your metabolism in scientific, peer-reviewed studies. This type of research is different from that sponsored or conducted by a food or drug company whose goal it is to encourage you to buy their product. In other words, I trust it.
Metabolism Boosting Foods and Beverages
- Green Tea
- Hot Peppers (e.g. Jalapenos, Habaneros, and Cayenne)
- Grapfruit or Oranges
- Foods High in Calcium
- Skim Milk
- Sesame Seeds
- Dark, Leafy Greens
- Foods High in Omega-3’s
- Flax Seed or Flax Seed Oil
Metabolism Boosting Behaviors
In addition to making smarter food choices, there are a lot of other things you can do to keep your metabolic engine roaring.
- Exercise – Both cardio AND strength training: Cardio revs up your metabolism so that you continue burning calories long after the workout is over. Strength training builds muscle which burns more calories than fat all day long.
- Eat Early And Often: Eating breakfast kick starts your metabolism. After that, eat small meals or snacks every 3-4 hours throughout the day.
- Drink Lots of Water: Proper hydration is important no matter who you are or what your goals are, but one side benefit for those trying to lose weight is that drinking lots of water helps you eat less.
- Get Plenty of Sleep: Research shows that people who don’t get enough sleep eat more and burn fewer calories than those who get a full night’s rest.
Latest posts by Corinne Schmitt (see all)
- Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms - December 12, 2017
- Feed the Hungry and Provide Disaster Relief by Recycling - December 11, 2017
- Instant Pot Shepherd’s Pie - December 8, 2017