If you’re looking for a complete one-pot meal, you can’t beat this Instant Pot Whole Chicken and Potatoes with Vegetables. Just throw everything in the Instant Pot and let it do all the work!
The vegetables infuse the chicken with flavor and the meat falls right off the bone. This is one of the easiest (and tastiest) Instant Pot chicken recipes.
Since dinner time is so chaotic in our house, I love Instant Pot dinners because the pot does all the work for me and leaves me with fewer dishes to wash after dinner. And unlike the crock pot version of this recipe, I don’t have to wait several hours to get tender-fork veggies and fall-of-the-bone chicken.
Like many of my other dinners, I made this in my Instant Pot because I prefer to spend the time before dinner doing other things rather than standing at the stove.
- 1 whole chicken (approximately 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon + 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup of liquid (either water or chicken broth)
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon
- 4-6 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic or 1 1/4 teaspoons of garlic powder
Feel free to omit any seasoning you don’t like and add ones you do. Sometimes I’ll add onion powder to kick up the onion flavor.
A sprinkle of paprika adds a nice color as well as interesting flavor. If you like a little heat, add some cayenne pepper.
How to Make Instant Pot Whole Chicken with Potatoes and Vegetables
I’m super visual which is why I always try to include in-process shots. This way you know things are supposed to look like when you’re comparing your version to mine.
Note: If you have a frozen chicken, make sure to place it in the refrigerator 24 hours before you plan on cooking it in order to give it enough time to thaw completely.
Step 1: Prep the Chicken
Before you u begin, remove the neck and giblets from the cavity. Next, pat down the surface of the chicken with a paper towel. You want the skin dry so that the seasoning will stick to it and to improve the texture of the skin.
Set your Instant Pot to sauté mode. Wait for it to get hot, then add one tablespoon of olive oil before setting the chicken in.
Brown for five minutes on both sides. Then turn off the Instant Pot.
Remove the chicken from the pressure cooker and set it aside.
Now we just have to do a few things to finish getting the chicken ready. Insert lemon slices inside the chicken cavity.
Then, rub olive oil all over the outside of the chicken.
Step 2: Add the Vegetables
Place the trivet that came with your Instant Pot in the bottom of the inner liner. Add the water or chicken broth.
Slice the carrots, potatoes, and onions into large chunks and add them to the pot.
Then, you’ll add the herbs and spices – garlic (either garlic powder or minced garlic cloves), salt, pepper, olive oil, thyme and rosemary.
Step 3 – Add the Chicken to the Pot
Next, place the chicken in the pot on top of the vegetables. Season the chicken with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Now you just need to secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the steam.
To make sure the chicken is fully cooked, check the internal temperature by inserting a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh. It should read 165 degrees.
Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set it on a baking sheet or in a broiling pan. Broil for 3 to 4 minutes to brown the skin.
Your dinner is ready!
One of the best things about making a whole chicken is having leftovers you can use for easy lunches throughout the week! Leftover roast chicken is perfect for making chicken salad sandwiches, adding substance to a salad or soup, or as the star of a wrap.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Recipe
Ready to make this Instant Pot Whole Chicken with Vegetables? Here’s the complete recipe with measurements:
Instant Pot Whole Chicken with Vegetables
- 1 4 pound whole chicken
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon sliced
- 4-6 potatoes chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- Set Instant Pot to "Sauté" mode. While pot heats up, dry chicken with paper towels. Once pot is hot, add one tablespoon of oil to the inner liner, then brown chicken for five minutes on each side. Turn off Instant Pot. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Cut up the lemon and insert into the cleaned chicken.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and then season with remaining thyme and rosemary, and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Place trivet in bottom of inner liner. Add liquid.
- Chop up potatoes, carrots and onion and place in Instant Pot along with the garlic. S
- Return to chicken to pot (set on top of the vegetables). Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle on the sprigs of the thyme and rosemary.
- Select the manual setting or pressure cook (depending on your model), set to high, and increase time to 25 minutes.
- Natural release for 10 minutes to let the chicken rest and then quick release until steam is complete.
- Remove chicken from pot and place on baking sheet. Set the oven to broil and place the chicken under the broiler for 3 to 4 minutes to crisp up the skin.