I love this Instant Pot Whole Chicken with Vegetables because I can throw everything in the Instant Pot and be done with dinner. The vegetables infuse the chicken with flavor and the meat falls right off the bone.
Since dinner time is so chaotic in our house, I love Instant Pot dinners because the pot does all the work for me and leaves me with fewer dishes to wash after dinner. And unlike the crock pot version of this recipe, I don’t have to wait several hours to get tender-fork veggies and fall-of-the-bone chicken.
Like many of my other dinners, I made this in my Instant Pot because I prefer to spend the time before dinner doing other things rather than standing at the stove.
How to Make Instant Pot Whole Chicken with Vegetables
I’m super visual which is why I always try to include in-process shots. This way you know things are supposed to look like when you’re comparing your version to mine.
Step A – Brown the Chicken
In the recipe, you’ll see two different choices. You can brown the chicken in your Instant Pot using the sauté setting before you cook the dish. Or, you can put the chicken under the broiler for a few minutes AFTER it’s cooked.
When I made the Instant Pot whole chicken for these pictures, I sauteed the chicken in the Instant Pot. Other times, I’ve broiled it afterwards. The only difference is that broiling afterwards gives you an extra crispy skin.
Step 1 – Add the Vegetables
The first thing you’ll add to your Instant Pot are your chopped vegetables. Just slice your carrots, potatoes, and onions into large chunks and add to the pot.
Then, you’ll add the seasoning – garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, thyme and rosemary.
Step 3 – Prepare the Chicken
Now we just have to do a few things to get the chicken ready. First, insert lemon slices inside the cavity of the chicken.
Then, rub olive oil all over the outside of the chicken and place it in the pot on top of the vegetables. Season the chicken with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Now you just need to secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the steam. Your dinner is ready!
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Recipe
Ready to make this Instant Pot Whole Chicken with Vegetables? Here’s the complete recipe with measurements:
- 1 whole chicken
- 6 + Tablespoon olive oil
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon
- 4-6 potatoes chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- Note: to brown the chicken you can do this a couple of different ways. I added a bit of olive oil to the Instant Pot on the sautee setting and seared the top of the chicken for 5 minutes until it released easily from the bottom. However, you can alternatively place the chicken in the oven on broil setting after cooking in the Instant Pot for a quick, crispy skin.
- Sear chicken as directed above, if desired.
- Chop up potatoes, carrots and onion and place in Instant Pot along with the garlic. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle on 2-3 sprigs of the thyme and rosemary, respectively.
- Cut up the lemon and insert into the cleaned chicken.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil, and then season with remaining thyme and rosemary, and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Select the manual setting, set to high, and increase time to 25 minutes.
- Natural release for 10 minutes to let the chicken rest and then quick release until steam is complete.
- If desired (and you didn't sear the chicken at the start of the recipe), set the oven to broil and place the chicken under the broiler for 2 minutes to crisp up the skin.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Did you like this recipe for Instant Pot Whole Chicken with Vegetables? If you did, you might enjoy some of my other Instant Pot recipes. Click on any of the images below: