Last Updated on March 29, 2023 by Corinne Schmitt
Instant Pot Ropa Vieja is the perfect combination of flavorful, tender beef and perfectly cooked veggies. It’s a delicious, hearty meal that’s sure to please everyone at the table.
This Instant Pot recipe is so easy to make, and it’s the perfect weeknight dinner. With this recipe, there is no need to stress about what to make for dinner because it’s all made right in your pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Ropa Vieja
Ropa Vieja is a classic Cuban dish that is typically made with beef; this dish is essentially beef that is slowly simmered in tomatoes. The name ropa vieja translates to “old clothes”, but don’t let that put you off this recipe, I promise it’s delicious.
Ropa Vieja is popular among Cuban-Americans, and it is often served with white rice, black beans, and sweet plantains. This dish can be made as mild or spicy as you like by adjusting the number of chili peppers used.
Why I Love This Recipe
The Instant Pot does an amazing job of bringing out the flavors in this traditional Cuban recipe. It’s got some tender beef and veggies that are just cooked to perfection, with a delicious rich gravy on top for good measure- what more could you ask from your meal?
- Easy to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Looks beautiful on a plate
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love instant pot beef recipes look no further than this Instant Pot Beef Carnitas recipe.
This recipe only requires a few simple ingredients, all of which are easy to find at your local grocery store. After one quick trip to your local grocery store, you will be ready to make this family-friendly comfort food meal that is filled with protein.
- flank steak, skirt, or round steak
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- chopped garlic
- onion powder
- garlic salt
- taco seasonings or a cumin/oregano and coriander mixture
- diced peppers (I used red, yellow, and orange)
- tomato puree, divided
- red wine
- beef broth
- frozen peas
Steak: You can use any type of steak for this recipe, but I find that flank, skirt, or round steak work best. If you are using a tougher cut of meat, you may want to consider cooking it for a longer period of time.
Butter: I love the flavor that butter adds to this dish, but you can substitute olive oil if you prefer.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a handful full of kitchen tools to help you make this savory beef recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy a meal that your entire family will love.
- measuring cups and spoons
- Instant Pot
- wooden spoon
- large bowl
How to Make Instant Pot Ropa Vieja
This recipe comes together in just a few simple steps. Follow the instructions below and you will have a hearty meal that your whole family will enjoy in no time at all.
Step 1: Add wine and broth to the pressure cooker
In your Instant Pot, add wine and beef broth.
Step 2: Add beef and onion and garlic salt to the inner pot
Next, add beef to the liquid, and then add the onion powder and garlic salt.
Step 3: Pressure cook the beef
Set to high pressure for 40 minutes.
Step 4: Allow the pressure to natural release then turn off the heat
Allow the pot to release pressure normally for 10-15 minutes. Turn heat off.
Step 5: Shred the beef and set it aside
Once the beef is cooked through, remove the beef and add it to a container, and shred. Set aside.
Step 6: Turn the pot to saute and add oil and butter
Set Instant Pot to sauté/browning feature. Add oil and butter and allow to sizzle.
Step 7: Add the onions and bell peppers and cook until tender
Add onions and peppers and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If you like, you can reserve some of this mixture to add to the rice in steps 11-12.)
Step 8: Add tomato puree and taco seasoning and mix well.
Add 1 cup of tomato puree and taco seasoning and mix well.
Step 9: Add peas and beef to the tomato mixture and stir
Then, add peas and shredded beef back to the pot and stir everything together.
Step 10: Pressure cook for 30 minutes then natural release
Set to high pressure and cook for 30 minutes. Allow pressure to return to normal. Add mixture to a bowl and clean out Instant Pot.
Step 11: Add water and the remaining tomato puree to the pressure cooker
Add water and 1 cup of tomato puree to Instant Pot. If desired, add the onion and pepper mixture you reserved from the previous steps.
Step 12: Cook the rice in the pressure cooker
Add rice and stir everything together. Close lid and set Instant Pot to rice function for 10 minutes. Allow pressure to return to normal.
Step 13: Serve and enjoy
Serve beef mixture on a sandwich roll or on top of rice.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
There are a number of ways that you can switch up this recipe to better suit your tastes.
- Vegetables: Feel free to add in additional vegetables, such as carrots or potatoes.
- Toppings: You could also top your beef with cheese, sour cream, olives, or avocado for an extra special touch.
- Spicy: If you like things on the spicier side, add in some chopped jalapeños or diced green chilies.
When making this recipe, keep the following tips in mind for the best results.
- Thaw the beef: Be sure to thaw the beef completely before cooking. This will help ensure that it cooks evenly.
- Use fresh ingredients: For the best flavor, use fresh vegetables and spices.
- Do not overcook the beef: overcooked beef will be tough and dry.
- If the mixture is too thick: If the mixture becomes too thick, you can thin it out by adding a little bit of water or beef broth.
- If the mixture is too thin: If the mixture is too thin, you can thicken it up by cooking it on the sauté setting until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add more flavor to the beef by adding a bay leaf and black pepper to the water when you are cooking it.
- If you don’t have colored bell peppers on hand, you can use green bell pepper also.
- Leave out the peas to make this dish keto friendly.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Yes! This recipe freezes well. Be sure to store it in an airtight container. I recommend freezing the meat without the vegetables. It can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
The best way to reheat this recipe is in the Instant Pot on the sauté setting. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can reheat it in a pan on the stove top over medium heat.
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you like Instant Pot recipes, give these recipes a try:
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Instant Pot Ropa Vieja
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Instant Pot
- wooden spoon
- Large bowl
- 2-3 pounds flank skirt or round steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning or a cumin/oregano and coriander mixture
- 2 cups diced peppers I used red, yellow and orange
- 2 cups tomato puree divided
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In your Instant Pot, add wine and beef broth. Add beef to liquid and then add the onion powder and garlic salt.
- Set to high pressure for 40 minutes. Allow to release pressure normally for 10-15 minutes. Turn heat off.
- Once beef is cooked through, add to a container and shred. Set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté/browning feature.
- Add oil and butter and allow to sizzle. Add onions and peppers and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If you like you can reserve some of this mixture to add to the rice in steps 8-9.)
- Add 1 cup of tomato puree and taco seasoning and mix well. Add peas and beef and stir everything together.
- Set to high pressure and cook for 30 minutes. Allow pressure to return to normal. Add mixture to a bowl and clean out Instant Pot.
- Add water and 1 cup of tomato puree to Instant Pot. If desired, add the onion and pepper mixture you reserved from previous steps.
- Add rice and stir everything together. Close lid and set Instant Pot to rice function for 10 minutes. Allow pressure to return to normal.
- Serve beef mixture on a sandwich roll or on top of rice. We split this into two meals, doing one with sandwiches and the other with the rice!
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!