This Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole is always a hit! You just prep it the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning. Your family or guests will wake up to the mouthwatering aroma of this hearty breakfast dish.
This Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole is a combination of all the things my family loves. My husband loves sausage, my sons love bacon, my oldest daughter loves croissants, and my youngest daughter is a cheese fanatic.
I love meals my family will eat joyfully and if I can make it in advance, that’s an added bonus. I can prep this dish before bed, put it in the oven in the morning when I wake up.
Then, while we get ready, the oven does the rest of the work and a hearty breakfast is ready for us before we move on with the rest of our day!
How to Make Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole
Normally, I try not to use a lot of different pots and pans or create recipes with multiple steps. This Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole is an exception, but I still love it because I can do the prep when it’s convenient for me and the flavor is so worth the effort! Here’s how to make it:
Step 1: Make Bacon
First, you’ll need to cook up a pound of crispy bacon. You can do this on a griddle or in a skillet over medium-low heat. You can also bake your bacon in the oven (400 degrees for 18-20 minutes).
After the bacon has cooled, crumble it into small bits.
Step 2: Cook the Sausage
Next, you’ll brown a pound of pork breakfast sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Drain the fat from the skillet and add the crumbled bacon.
Step 3: Layer Casserole Ingredients
For the croissants, I like to buy the day-old ones from the bakery. They don’t have to be fresh since they’ll soak up the other ingredients so this is an easy way to save money.
Next, break the croissants into small pieces and press them into the bottom of a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Sprinkle the meat mixture over the croissants.
Step 4: Prepare Wet Ingredients
Now it’s time to combine all of our wet ingredients — eggs, milk, and cream. We’ll also mix in some seasoning. I use salt, pepper, sage, ground mustard, and garlic powder.
Whisk together until well combined. Then, pour over the croissant and meat.
That’s it for now! Cover the dish with foil and put it in the refrigerator overnight. Sitting will give the croissant plenty of time to absorb the wet ingredients and the delicious flavor of the bacon and sausage.
The Next Morning…
In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Get the dish out of the refrigerator and remove the foil cover. Sprinkle the casserole with parmesan cheese, then top with shredded cheddar cheese (I used white cheddar).
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when it’s “set” — it doesn’t jiggle and there’s no visible liquid. It should look like this:
Your Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole is ready to serve! It should slice easily into squares/rectangles like lasagna.
Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole Recipe
I’ve included the step-by-step photos above for my readers who like to know what the dish looks like throughout the prep process. Personally, I prefer to print out the recipe.
So, for those of you who are like me and just want the recipe card, here it is:
Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb Bacon
- 1 lb Pork breakfast sausage
- 8 Croissants
- 5 large Eggs
- 2 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp Ground sage
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook 1 pound of bacon until it is crispy. Set it aside until it cools, then crumble it into pieces.
- Brown 1 pound of pork breakfast sausage over medium-high heat, drain fat. Add the crumbled bacon to the skillet.
- Tear croissants into bite-sized pieces and press them into the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour the meat mixture over the top of the croissants.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, and heavy cream. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, mustard, and sage. Whisk to combine well.
- Pour the liquid mixture over top of the meat and croissants in the baking dish.
- Cover the dish with tin foil, and place it in the fridge to sit overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover the casserole dish, and sprinkle 1 cup of parmesan cheese over the mixture. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until it is cooked through and the liquid has been absorbed. If the top browns too quickly, cover with foil and continue cooking until the casserole is cooked through.
- Serve with fresh fruit.
More Breakfast Casserole Recipes
If you liked this Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole, you might enjoy some of my other breakfast casserole recipes.
Want some veggies in your dish? Try my Make Ahead Sausage and Spinach Strata.
If you’re looking for something sweeter, you’ll love this Make Ahead Blueberry French Toast Casserole!