Lemon Ricotta Pasta is a light, refreshing dish that’s perfect for summer. The lemony sauce is packed with flavor, and the ricotta makes it all creamy and delicious. You’ll love this pasta dish!
If you love quick and easy pasta recipes, then this is the stovetop recipe for you. It’s so simple that it’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
Lemon Ricotta Pasta
Ricotta cheese is one of my favorite ingredients to use in pasta dishes. It’s so creamy and delicious, and it really elevates the flavor of the dish.
Not only is ricotta tasty but it is also full of protein and calcium. So, not only will this dish taste great but it will also be good for you!
Why I Love This Recipe
Lemon Ricotta Pasta is one of those light, refreshing dishes that are perfect for summer. It has a tangy sauce and creamy texture from the ricotta’s luxuriousness in each bite making it truly delicious!
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Easy to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love creamy pasta recipes you may also enjoy this Instant Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe.
Only a few simple ingredients are needed for this delicious pasta dish. The lemon flavor really pops, and it’s perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal. So, gather these ingredients and get ready to enjoy a delicious meal!
- Pasta, uncooked
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Ricotta Cheese
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Zest of 1-2 Lemons, as desired
- Salt and Pepper
Cream sauce: If you don’t have ricotta, you could use cottage cheese or cream cheese.
Cheese: Try using Romano, Asiago, or even Feta cheese.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this creamy and light pasta dish. Your entire family is going to love this delicious recipe.
How to Make Lemon Ricotta Pasta
This recipe comes together in just six simple steps. Follow the steps below and you will have a delicious meal in no time at all.
Step 1: Prepare the pasta and reserve some pasta water
Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Before draining off the water, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water to use as needed in the ricotta sauce.
Step 2: Heat the oil in a large skillet
In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
Step 3: Saute the garlic
Once hot, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Step 4: Add the pasta and ricotta to the skillet
Add the drained pasta and ricotta and a few tablespoons of the pasta water.
Step 5: Heat the sauce until warm
Cook and stir for 4 minutes until water is absorbed and ricotta coats the pasta evenly. Add additional pasta water as needed to prevent the ricotta from burning.
Step 6: Add the cheese, season, and serve
Add the Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt, and pepper, to taste. Stir well and serve immediately.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Are you looking for ways to change up this delicious pasta recipe? Here are a few ideas to get you started.
Protein: If you want to add some protein to this dish, consider adding some grilled chicken or shrimp.
Vegetables: Try adding some sauteed mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, peas, asparagus, or bell peppers for added vegetables.
Spice: This dish is also great with a little bit of crushed red pepper flakes for some heat.
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the best lemon ricotta pasta.
- Make sure to cook the garlic over low heat so it doesn’t burn.
- If the sauce seems too thick, add a little bit more of the reserved pasta water until it reaches your desired consistency.
- You can add more flavor by adding a squeeze of fresh lemon juice before serving.
- I recommend cooking the pasta al dente, because it will continue to cook in the skillet.
- Whole-milk ricotta has the best flavor, but you can also use a lower fat version if you prefer.
- Fresh basil is a flavorful garnish for this recipe.
- You can use different pasta shapes like penne, bowtie, fusilli, or any shape that your family enjoys.
Do you have questions about this Lemon Ricotta Pasta recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
This pasta dish is best enjoyed fresh, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for 3-4 days.
To reheat, simply add the pasta to a skillet with a little bit of olive oil over medium heat. Cook and stir until heated through. If the lemon ricotta sauce is too thick, you can thin it with a splash of milk.
I do not recommend freezing this pasta dish as the ricotta cheese can separate when thawed.
More Pasta Recipes
If you like pasta recipes, give these recipes a try:
- Instant Pot Mushroom Pasta
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Pasta
- Boursin Cheese Pasta
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- large pot or dutch oven
- large skillet
- measuring cup and spoon
- 3 cups Pasta uncooked
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Zest of 1-2 Lemons as desired
- Salt and Pepper
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Before draining off the water, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water to use as needed in the ricotta sauce.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Once hot, add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the drained pasta and ricotta and a few tablespoons of the pasta water.
- Cook and stir for 4 minutes until water is absorbed and ricotta coats the pasta evenly. Add additional pasta water as needed to prevent the ricotta from burning.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt and pepper, to taste. Stir well and serve immediately.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!