This delicious Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon is deceptively simple to make, despite it’s “fancy” name. The best part is that it’s a complete meal all-in-one so you won’t have to spend time on side dishes.
This dish features everything I love in an Instant Pot recipe. It’s a one-pot meal, the hands-on time is limited since the Instant Pot does most of the work, and it’s a well-rounded meal complete with protein, vegetables, and a starch.
Which red wine is best for Beef Bourguignon?
Bourguignon refers to a cooking style that is popular in France in the Bourgogne regions, which we refer to as Burgundy. So, as you can imagine, Beef Bourguignon is traditionally made with burgundy.
But really, if you’re after great flavor and aren’t married to the belief that ONLY a burgundy will do, you have a lot of choices. To stay close to the authentic beef bourguignon flavor, choose a pinot noir. These are the same types of grapes used in burgundy wine so the flavor will be closest.
If you don’t have pinot noir on hand, then you’re best off leaning towards a full-bodied red. Good choices are Merlot, Cabernet, Bordeaux, Zinfandel, Shiraz, and my personal favorite, Chianti.
In general, choose a red wine you enjoy drinking because you won’t use the full bottle to make the Beef Bourguignon so whatever you have left you can enjoy with your meal!
What You’ll Need to Make Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
This dish may have a fancy name, but it’s made with simple ingredients.
- Bacon grease (or you can use olive oil)
- Beef stew meat
- Pearl onions
- Red wine (see section above to choose one)
- Beef broth
- Minced garlic
- Bay leaves
If you like a thicker sauce, you’ll also need a little cornstarch.
You’ll be making everything in your Instant Pot, so the only other thing you’ll need is a wooden spoon to stir the ingredients.
If you want to thicken your sauce, you’ll also need a small bowl and whisk to whisk together cornstarch and water.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
To make Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon just follow the steps below.
Step 1 – Saute Meat and Onions
First, put the bacon grease (or olive oil) in your Instant Pot, then press the “Saute” button. Wait for the display to read “Hot” before adding the stew meat and pearl onions.
Saute, stirring frequently, until the beef is browned on all sides. Press “Cancel” to turn off saute mode.
Step 2 – Add Remaining Ingredients
Add the carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms to the pot. Follow with the minced garlic and bay leaves.
Then, pour two cups of red wine and one cup of broth over the other ingredients.
Step 3 – Pressure Cook
Now, we just need to pressure cook to finish the dish!
Press the Manual button on your Instant Pot and set the time to 35 minutes. Once the cook time is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before turning the knob to “Venting” to quick release the rest of the pressure.
Once the pressure has fully released, carefully open the Instant Pot. You can serve your Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon immediately.
However, if you prefer the sauce to be more gravy-like and less brothy, combine a tablespoon of cornstarch with two tablespoons of water and whisk together in a small bowl.
Press “Cancel” on your Instant Pot, then select “Saute.” Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot and stir until the sauce thickens.
Now that you’ve seen how easy it is to make Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon, are you ready to make your own? Here’s the complete recipe with the exact measurements.
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- 2 tablespoons Bacon grease or you can use olive oil
- 2 lbs Beef stew meat
- 1 10 oz package White pearl onions
- 5 Carrots peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 Potatoes cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 8 oz package Mushrooms wiped clean and quartered
- 2 cups Chianti or other red wine
- 1 cup Beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Minced garlic
- 2 Bay leaves
Optional Cornstarch Slurry (to thicken sauce)
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Water
- Place bacon grease or oil into the instant pot. Turn on saute mode.
- Wait for pot to get hot then add beef and onions then saute until browned. Turn off saute mode.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, minced garlic and bay leaves. Pour wine and broth over the ingredients.
- Set to high pressure and cook for 35 minutes. When timer beeps, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
- Optional: Set Instant Pot to saute mode. Whisk cornstarch and water together in small bowl. Add cornstarch slurry to the instant pot, stir gently. Bring to a boil and stir until thickened.
If you liked this recipe for Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon, you might enjoy some of my other Instant Pot beef recipes.