Instant Pot Oatmeal is the best way to meal prep oatmeal for busy mornings! This super easy recipe, can cook while you get ready for the day making your morning less stressful.
This make ahead breakfast recipe really helps keep your morning on track. I love making this Instant Pot Oatmeal recipe on the days that I know the kids need a hearty breakfast, but I need a little extra time to get ready.
Instant Pot Oatmeal
Oatmeal is a whole grain breakfast that really packs a nutritional punch. Oatmeal is great for your heart health and can even reduce your LDL.
Why I Love This Recipe
Instant Pot Oatmeal is easy to make, and makes a great breakfast on a busy weekday morning.
- Easy to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love easy breakfast recipes you may also enjoy this Overnight Croissants Breakfast Casserole recipe.
This quick and simple breakfast recipe only needs six pantry staple ingredients. You may not even need to venture out to the grocery store to make this tasty recipe.
- rolled oats
- light brown sugar
- maple syrup
Molasses: Out of maple syrup? Use molasses in its place. I do suggest slightly reducing the amount if you use molasses as your sweetener.
Dark Brown Sugar: Only have dark brown sugar on hand? Dark brown sugar is an easy substitution for light brown sugar. No need to change your measurements.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need three basic kitchen tools to help you make this delicious and easy breakfast recipe.
How to Make Instant Pot Oatmeal
With this simple Instant Pot Oatmeal recipe, you can have breakfast ready and on the table in less than 45 minutes and in only four easy steps.
Step 1:Place your ingredients in your pressure cooker
Pour all of your ingredients into your instant pot. Stir well to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
Step 2: Cook your oatmeal
Place your lid on your instant pot by twisting it shut. Make sure to close the ceiling valve by pushing it away from you. Set your instant pot to high-pressure for six minutes.
Step 3: Release the pressure
Once it has finished cooking, allow it to do a natural release. You will know that the natural lease is finished when the pin next to the ceiling valve has dropped. This should take about 30 minutes.
Step 4: Top the oatmeal
Once completed, give your oatmeal a good stir. Top with your favorite toppings such as a dash of cream, nuts, dried or fresh fruit. You can also add more brown sugar for an extra sweetness! Enjoy!
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Are you looking for a way to change up this tasty oatmeal? Here are my favorite ways to jazz up the flavor of this breakfast dish.
Pumpkin Pie Spice: Switch out the cinnamon in this recipe for pumpkin spice oatmeal.
Apple Cinnamon: Add one chopped apple to your oatmeal before cooking for a cooked apple cinnamon oatmeal.
Gluten Free: If you want to make this recipe gluten free, be sure to buy gluten free oats.
Do you need some ideas of what to top your oatmeal with? Here are some of my favorite toppings.
- Chopped Nuts
- chopped dates
- chocolate chips
- shredded coconut
Want to make sure that your oatmeal turns out perfectly? Here are my best cooking tips for you.
- Do not add milk to your Instant Pot Oatmeal while it is cooking. Milk will cause you to get a burn notice on your Instant Pot.
- If you are using steel cut oats instead of rolled oats, use a water ratio of one cup of water to 1/4 cup of oats. You will also need to allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes; this will help soften the steel cut oats.
Do you have questions about Instant Pot Oatmeal? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Store leftover oatmeal in the fridge for up to five days.
Reheat your oatmeal in the microwave for one to two minutes. Or, reheat on the stove top in a saucepan on medium heat. You may need to add a little water or milk to help your oatmeal become creamy again.
Yes! To make this oatmeal on the stove top, bring your water to a boil, then add in your oatmeal. Cook the oatmeal for 10 minutes with the lid on.
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you like Instant Pot recipes, give these recipes a try:
Instant Pot Oatmeal Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Instant Pot Oatmeal
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 & 3/4 cups water
- Pour all of your ingredients into your instant pot. Stir well to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
- Place your lid on your instant pot by twisting it shut. Make sure to close the ceiling valve by pushing it away from you.
- Set your instant pot to high-pressure for six minutes.
- Once it has finished cooking, allow it to do a natural release. You will know that the natural release is finished when the pin next to the ceiling valve has dropped. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Once completed, give your oatmeal a good stir. Top with your favorite toppings such as a dash of cream, nuts, dried or fresh fruit. You can also add more brown sugar for an extra sweetness! Enjoy!
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!