Have you ever had a craving for a funnel cake but didn’t have a carnival nearby? I’m here to help you learn how to make a homemade funnel cake in the Instant Pot.
This fried wonder is easy to make at home with just a few simple ingredients. So fire up the Instant Pot and get ready to impress your guests with this delicious treat!
- Carnival Funnel Cake Recipe
- Why I Love This Recipe
- Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
- How to Make a Homemade Funnel Cake (in the Instant Pot!)
- Variations / Options / Add-Ins
- More Dessert Recipes
- Homemade Funnel Cakes Recipe
- Homemade Funnel Cakes in the Instant Pot
Carnival Funnel Cake Recipe
Funnel Cakes are a popular dessert all across the world. This dish varies in name from country to country, but the dessert remains the same; a funnel cake deep fried pastry that is made from pouring batter into hot oil.
I don’t know about you but every time my family visits a carnival or a fair we have to get a delicious funnel cake to split. This powdered sugar topped confection is an American classic and I’m excited to show you how to make one in the Instant Pot!
Why I Love This Recipe
This scrumptious treat is perfect for any party or get-together. And the best part is, you can make it right at home with just a few simple ingredients.
- Easy to make
- Fun to make
- Always a hit at parties
If you love Instant Pot dessert recipes give this Instant Pot Angel Food Cake recipe a try.
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious funnel cake. All of the ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store. So gather up what you need and let’s get started!
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- powdered sugar
Nut Milk – Instead of cow’s milk you can use almond milk, soy milk or even coconut milk.
Extract – Are you out of vanilla extract? You can use almond extract instead.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this delicious dessert recipe.
How to Make a Homemade Funnel Cake (in the Instant Pot!)
This recipe comes together in just a few simple steps. And the best part is, you can make it right at home in a short amount of time.
Step 1: Fill the Instant Pot with oil
Fill instant pot with oil until 2 inches deep. Set to sauté and using a candy thermometer, bring the temperature to 350. May take 20-30 minutes.
Step 2: Mix together the wet ingredients
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and water.
Step 3: Add in dry ingredients to the batter
Whisk in sugar, salt and baking powder.
Step 4: Slowly stir in flour
Mix in flour until batter forms.
Step 5: Add the batter to a piping bag
Once oil comes to temperature, pour batter into a gallon size zip lock bag and cut a small corner off. A piping bag can be used.
Step 6: Fry the funnel cakes
Squeeze batter into the oil piping in random directions and layered over itself. Leave room for the batter to expand. Cook for 5 minutes on one side, flip and cook for another 5 minutes.
Step 7: Drain the funnel cake
Remove and place on a paper towel to cool and dry.
Step 8: Top the funnel cake
Dust with powdered sugar. Optional, drizzle with flavored sauce.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Want to make a funnel cake with a twist? Try one of these variations!
Chocolate Funnel Cake: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the batter.
Strawberry Funnel Cake: Add 1/2 cup chopped strawberries to the batter.
Caramel Funnel Cake: Add 1/4 cup caramel sauce when you are mixing the wet ingredients to the batter.
Are you wondering what you can use on top of your funnel cakes? Here is a list of my favorite toppings for this carnival staple.
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate syrup
- Strawberry syrup
- Caramel sauce
- Whipped cream
- Cinnamon sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect funnel cake.
- Do not overmix the batter. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
- If the batter is too thick, add more milk. If it is too thin, add more flour.
- The oil should be at 350 degrees Fahrenheit before frying the funnel cakes.
- Do not overcrowd the pot or your funnel cakes will not cook evenly.
- Let the funnel cakes cool before dusting with powdered sugar. Otherwise, the sugar will melt.
- If you are using a zip lock bag to pipe the batter, cut off a small corner for better control.
Do you have questions about how to make a homemade funnel cake? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Leftover funnel cakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Place funnel cake on a paper towel and microwave for 20-30 seconds.
This recipe does not freeze well. The texture of the cake will be altered when thawed.
If you do not have an Instant Pot, you can fry the funnel cakes in a large pot or Dutch oven on the stove over medium heat.
More Dessert Recipes
If you like dessert recipes, give these recipes a try:
Homemade Funnel Cakes Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Homemade Funnel Cakes in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- Candy thermometer
- Large mixing bowl
- Piping bag or large storage bag
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsps water
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 4 tbsps sugar
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Fill instant pot with oil until 2 inches deep. Set to sauté and using a candy thermometer, bring temperature to 350. May take 20-30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and water.
- Whisk in sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Mix in flour until batter forms.
- Once oil comes to temperature, pour batter into a gallon size zip lock bag and cut a small corner off. A piping bag can be used.
- Squeeze batter into the oil piping in random directions and layered over itself. Leave room for batter to expand. Cook for 5 minutes on one side, flip and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and place on paper towel to cool and dry.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Optional, drizzle with flavored sauce.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!