This Chocolate Crepe Recipe is absolutely delightful. Working chocolate into breakfast or brunch is just a brilliant idea! I love how easy these crepes are to make too.
WHAT ARE CREPES?
Crepes are usually described as very thin pancakes. Pancake batter has an agent in it that makes the batter rise so the pancakes are thick and fluffy.
Crepes do not have anything in them to make them rise so they stay thin and flat.
Crepes originated in France. Now crepes are made worldwide and are eaten sweet or savory.
One reason I enjoy eating crepes is their versatility. There are countless ways to make crepes and they are beautiful on a plate! Crepes are a wonderful dish to make for brunch too.
INGREDIENTS IN CHOCOLATE CREPES
The ingredients for crepes are mostly staples found in most kitchens. The dark baking chocolate is the only item that I may not have on hand.
- Vegetable Oil
- All-Purpose Flour
- Dark Baking Cocoa
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CREPES
Crepes are such an elegant dish and may seem overwhelming to make, but once you get the process down it is very easy. So if this is your first time making crepes give it a shot!
STEP ONE: MAKE BATTER
The first step in making crepes is to make the batter. You are going to put the milk, eggs, oil, vanilla, flour, sugar, baking cocoa, melted butter, and salt into a blender.
Blend until the batter is smooth. The key to good crepe batter is that it is thin and smooth.
STEP TWO: COOK CREPES
Now take an 8-inch nonstick pan and spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Place it on the stove and heat the pan over medium-low heat.
Pour about 3/4 cup of batter into the pan and tilt and turn the pan around so the batter covers the entire bottom of the pan.
It helps to twirl the pan in a circular fashion to evenly spread the batter across the pan.
Cook until the top of the crepe is obviously cooked and then flip the crepe over and cook briefly on the other side until it is lightly browned.
Place the crepe on a plate and place parchment paper between each crepe as you cook them so they don’t stick together.
Repeat this process until all of the batter has been used.
STEP THREE: ROLL AND ADD TOPPINGS
Now that the crepes are cooked it is time to roll them up and add toppings.
Toppings can be added inside or on the top. Some great topping ideas for these easy chocolate crepes are:
- Strawberries or Raspberries
- Chocolate Syrup
- Whipped Cream or Topping
- Powdered Sugar
Any topping that goes good with chocolate would work perfectly!
CHOCOLATE CREPE RECIPE
I know you are excited to try this Chocolate Crepe Recipe. You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions on the recipe card below.
Chocolate Crepe Recipe
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Toppings: optional
- Powdered sugar
- Whipped topping
- Chocolate Syrup
- Blend batter (first 9 ingredients) together in blender.
- Heat non-stick pan over medium low on stove. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour batter into pan, about ¾ cup for an 8-inch pan. Pick up pan from the burner and tilt to spread the batter around the bottom of the pan. Moving it in a circular tilting fashion will spread the batter out evenly. Batter should go to the ends of the bottom part of the pan.
- When the top is noticeably cooked, flip the crepe to lightly brown the other side.
- Repeat process to cook the remaining crepes, setting finished crepes on plate with parchment paper between them to prevent sticking.
- Makes 6-8 crepes.
If you loved this breakfast recipe, be sure to check these out:
- Snickerdoodle Crepes
- Chocolate Nutella and Banana Crepes
- Polar Bear Donuts
- Overnight Pumpkin French Toast
Don’t forget to PIN this delicious Chocolate Crepe Recipe so you can come back and make it over and over again!