This Bombay Salad is a delicious, hearty salad that is perfect for a light meal or as a side dish. It is packed with healthy ingredients and tossed in a tangy dressing. This salad is sure to please everyone at the table!
If you love cold salads that are great for a meal then this is the recipe for you. Gather your family around the table and get ready to enjoy a tasty meal.
- Bombay Salad
- Why I Love This Recipe
- Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
- How to Make Bombay Salad
- Step 1: Reconstitute the raisins
- Step 2: Allow the raisins to soak up the water
- Step 3: Mix together mayo and seasonings
- Step 4: Add honey and lemon juice to the dressing
- Step 5: Toss the pasta and chicken in the dressing
- Step 6: Drain the raisins and add them and green onions to the bowl
- Step 7: Chill and serve
- Variations / Options / Add-Ins
- More Salad Recipes
- Bombay Salad Recipe
- Bombay Salad
Bombay Salad is believed to have originated in India. This salad is full of chicken and pasta which makes it a great meal because of the balance of carbs and protein.
I love adding chicken to salad because it really makes it a meal. And, it’s a low-fat protein that packs a nutrient punch.
Why I Love This Recipe
The delicious, hearty salad is perfect for a light meal or as a side dish. It’s packed with healthy ingredients and tossed in tangy dressing so everyone at the table will be pleased!
- Easy to make
- Always a hit at parties
- Perfect for picky eaters
If you love easy recipes you may also enjoy this Classic Egg Salad recipe.
You only need a few simple ingredients to help you make this tasty salad recipe. You may already have most of these ingredients on hand, but if not after one quick trip to your local grocery store you should be ready to make this main dish.
- Curry Powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Honey, optional
- Lemon Juice, as desired
- Cooked Pasta
- Cooked Chicken
- Green Onions, diced
Honey: Instead of honey, you could use white sugar, brown sugar, or molasses.
Lemon Juice: The acidity of the lemon juice helps to balance out the flavors in this salad. If you don’t have any lemons on hand, you could use lime juice or vinegar instead.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this delicious recipe. Since you only need a few tools you won’t have many dishes to wash.
How to Make Bombay Salad
Making this chicken and pasta salad is simple. Just follow the instructions below and you will have a cold salad that makes a great meal in no time at all.
Step 1: Reconstitute the raisins
Fill a small bowl or measuring cup with a cup of hot water and add the raisins to it to plump up.
Step 2: Allow the raisins to soak up the water
Set aside for 5 minutes as you prepare the rest of the salad.
Step 3: Mix together mayo and seasonings
In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, curry powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 4: Add honey and lemon juice to the dressing
Add the honey and lemon juice, then adjust all seasonings to taste.
Step 5: Toss the pasta and chicken in the dressing
Add the cooked pasta and chicken and stir well to coat with the dressing.
Step 6: Drain the raisins and add them and green onions to the bowl
Drain the raisins before adding them and the green onions to the chicken mixture. Stir to evenly distribute throughout the salad.
Step 7: Chill and serve
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
This salad is very versatile and there are many different ways that you can change it up. Be creative and add in your favorite ingredients or whatever you have on hand.
Fruit: You could add some chopped apples, grapes, pineapple, peaches, or mandarin oranges to the salad for a little sweetness and color.
Nuts: Add some chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts for a little crunch.
Veggies: Mix in some chopped celery, cucumber, carrots, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, or scallions for extra flavor and nutrition.
Do you want to make sure that your pasta salad turns out well? Here are some tips to help you prepare this easy salad.
- If you want to make this salad a little more filling you could add crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, or croutons.
- You can use any type of neutral flavored cooked chicken that you have on hand, this is a great way to use up a leftover rotisserie chicken.
- I used medium sized shells for this recipe. But, you can use any type of pasta that you have on hand.
- Instead of mayo you can use greek yogurt or sour cream.
- You can also mix in roasted garlic or even mint to the dressing for more flavor.
- Make this vegan by using tofu and vegan mayo.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
This salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Yes, the dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yes, you can use any type of pasta that you have on hand.
More Salad Recipes
If you like salads, give these recipes a try:
Bombay Salad Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
- measuring cup and spoon
- Small bowl
- medium bowl
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Honey optional
- 1-2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice as desired
- 3 cups Cooked Pasta
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken
- 2 Green Onions diced
- Fill a small bowl or measuring cup with a cup of hot water and add the raisins to it to plump up. Set aside for 5 minutes as you prepare the rest of the salad.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Add the honey and lemon juice, then adjust all seasonings to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta and chicken and stir well to coat with the dressing.
- Drain the raisins before adding them and the green onions to the bowl. Stir to evenly distribute throughout the salad.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!