These Air Fryer Buffalo Wings are crispy, juicy, and full of flavor!
They are the perfect appetizer or main dish for any party or game day event. If you want other ideas for dishes to eat at your event, check out these what to eat with chicken wings ideas.
If you love game day food recipes, then this is the recipe for you. Gather your friends and family and get ready to kick back and watch your favorite football team.
Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
There are several different claims about the origins of buffalo wings. One belief is that they were created in 1964 at Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York.
Another story says that buffalo wings were invented by John Young at his restaurant in Kansas City, Missouri. Whoever created these delicious chicken wings, we are all thankful for them!
These days, buffalo wings are a popular appetizer or main dish at many restaurants and bars. And, they have become a staple food at many game day parties. If you like game day appetizers, you should try Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Wings.
Why I Love This Recipe
The most amazing, respected food in all of the land is at your fingertips. Air Fryer Buffalo Wings are crispy and juicy with just enough spice to make them unforgettable!
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Easy to make
- Always a hit at parties
- Perfect for picky eaters
Do you love easy game day food recipes? Next time you may want to give this air fryer chicken taquitos recipe a try.
You only need a handful of ingredients to help you make this appetizer recipe. After one quick trip to the grocery store, you will be ready to enjoy this tasty meal or snack.
- whole chicken wings
- garlic powder
- Buffalo sauce
Make your own Buffalo sauce: If you are feeling adventurous, you can make your own Buffalo sauce. It’s simple with a mix of hot sauce, butter, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Use frozen wings: you can use frozen chicken wings. Just be sure to thaw them out before you begin cooking.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this easy and delicious recipe. Gather these tools and great ready to share these wings with your family.
How to Make Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
Making these air fryer buffalo wings is simple. Follow the instructions below and you will have a tasty meal or snack in no time at all.
Step 1: Clean the wings
Clean and prepare the chicken wings. Cut the wings at the joint. Toss the wing tip in a freezer bag for chicken broth or discard. Remove any remaining feathers.
Step 2: Toss the wings in cornstarch and seasonings
Place wings in a bowl with spices and cornstarch and toss until wings are coated.
Step 3: Air fry the wings for 15 minutes
Spray the air fryer basket with oil and place the wings inside. Cook for 15 minutes at 400°.
Step 4: Toss the wings in buffalo sauce
Once cooked completely, toss in a bowl with 1/4 cup of Buffalo sauce to fully coat the wings.
Step 5: Return to the air fryer and cook for five additional minutes
Place back in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 more minutes.
Step 6: Toss the wings in the remaining sauce
Remove and toss in the remaining sauce.
Step 7: Serve and enjoy
Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
The beauty of this easy recipe is that it is so versatile. You can make it as spicy or mild as you like. And, you can even add in some extra ingredients to give it a little something extra. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
Spice: For a little extra heat, add some cayenne pepper to the cornstarch mixture.
Sauce: Instead of buffalo sauce, you could use BBQ sauce, honey mustard, or any other favorite sauce.
Breading: If you are not a fan of breading on your wings you can skip the cornstarch and just use seasonings instead.
These air fryer buffalo chicken wings are delicious on their own. However, if you are looking for some other ideas of what to serve with them, here are a few suggestions.
Veggies: Serve with a side of celery sticks and carrot sticks.
Sides: Try serving these wings with baked potatoes or french fries.
Dipping Sauce: Serve with a bowl of your favorite dipping sauce like ranch, or blue cheese.
Want to make sure that your wings turn out perfectly? Here are some of my favorite tips for this recipe.
- Be sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket. If you do, the wings will not cook evenly. Make sure they are in a single layer in your air fryer basket with some room in between.
- If you are making a large number of wings, you may need to cook them in batches.
- For extra crispy wings cook them for a few minutes longer. Just be sure to keep an eye on them so they do not burn.
- Add some extra cayenne pepper to the sauce if you love spicy buffalo wings.
- Test the chicken wings with a meat thermometer to make sure that they reach the internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- There is no need to flip these wings, they will still be perfectly crisp on the outside without being flipped.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this air fryer chicken wings recipe.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the air fryer at 400° for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. You could also reheat it in the oven at 375° for 10-12 minutes.
Yes, these wings can be frozen for up to two months.
More Buffalo Recipes
If you like buffalo recipes, give these recipes a try:
- Buffalo Chicken Bites
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
- knife and cutting board
- Large bowl
- measuring cup and spoon
- Air Fryer
- 1 pound whole chicken wings
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Buffalo sauce
- Clean and prepare the chicken wings. Cut the wings at the joint. Toss the wing tip in a freezer bag for chicken broth or discard. Remove any remaining feathers.
- Place wings in a bowl with spices and corn starch and toss until wings are coated.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil and place the wings inside. Cook for 15 minutes at 400°.
- Once cooked completely, toss in a bowl with 1/4 cup of Buffalo sauce to fully coat the wings.
- Place back in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove and toss in the remaining sauce.
- Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!