Air Fryer Cheese Enchiladas are a delicious and easy way to make a classic Mexican dish. The enchiladas are filled with cheese and then fried in the air fryer until golden and crispy. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
If you are a fan of Mexican food, this is the recipe for you. The creamy sour cream sauce plus the cheesy goodness inside the tortillas makes for tasty chicken enchiladas to enjoy on Taco Tuesday.
Air Fryer Cheese Enchiladas
The history of enchiladas is a long and complicated one. The dish is thought to have originated in Mexico, but there is no one straightforward origin story.
The dish gained popularity in the 19th century when it was introduced to the US by Mexican immigrants. It quickly became a favorite among Americans and has remained one of the most popular Mexican dishes to this day.
Why I Love This Recipe
Air Fryer Cheese Enchiladas are the perfect comfort food. They’re easy to make and you can enjoy them any time of day!
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Easy to make
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love air fryer Mexican food recipes, you may also enjoy these Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make these easy enchiladas. All of these ingredients are easy to find in your local grocery store; or you may already have most of these ingredients on hand in your pantry, which can save you a trip to the store.
- all-purpose flour
- chicken broth
- sour cream
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- green chiles, canned
- Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- yellow corn tortillas
Tortillas: You can use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas if you prefer them.
Chicken Stock: Can be used in place of chicken broth if you want to add more flavor.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this easy recipe. Gather these ingredients and get ready to enjoy this tasty meal with your family.
- measuring cup
- baking pan – it needs to fit in your air fryer. Cake pans can work depending on the size of your air fryer.
How to Make Air Fryer Cheese Enchiladas
Making these cheese enchiladas is easy! Just follow the instructions below and you will have a tasty meal that your entire family will enjoy in no time at all.
Step 1: Melt the butter and make a roux
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt your butter. When the butter starts to boil and foam, whisk in flour and cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Step 2: Slowly add the broth and bring to a boil
Add the broth and bring to a boil stirring frequently.
Step 3: Whisk in the sour cream and add the chilies and spices
Once boiling, add the sour cream and whisk until melted. Allow the cream sauce to thicken. Add the chilies and spices.
Step 4: Allow the sour cream mixture to cool
Remove from heat and let cool.
Step 5: Heat the tortillas
Microwave the tortillas to soften them.
Step 6: Coat the bottom of the pan with the homemade enchilada sauce
In a pan that fits your air fryer basket, pour sauce to coat the bottom.
Step 7: Roll the tortillas with cheese in the middle
Roll your tortillas with a pinch of shredded cheese. Place in pan. Coat the top of the tortillas with more of the green enchilada sauce and top with cheese.
Step 8: Air fry the enchiladas
Cook at 350 for 6 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Step 9: Garnish and serve
Garnish with sour cream, green onions, and cilantro.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Do you want to personalize these enchiladas? Here are some ideas:
Protein: If you want to add a little bit of protein to this dish, you could always add some cooked shredded chicken to the enchiladas before rolling them up. Rotisserie chicken is great for this.
Vegetarian: For a vegetarian option, you could substitute chicken broth for vegetable broth.
Heat: If you want a little bit more of a kick, you could always add some diced jalapeños or other hot peppers to the enchiladas.
Here are some tips to make sure that these air fryer enchiladas turn out perfectly for you.
- Do not overfill the tortillas or they will be difficult to roll.
- If you want a crispy top, cook the enchiladas for a few minutes longer.
- Make sure that the sauce is completely cooled before adding it to the tortillas or they will fall apart.
- Want to add some veggies? Try adding in some sauteed onions, mushrooms, or bell peppers.
- For a little bit of a crunch, you could always add in some chopped-up bacon.
- Make sure that the cheese is completely melted before serving.
- Instead of sour cream, you can use red enchilada sauce if you prefer it.
- If you are doubling this recipe you will need to cook these enchiladas in batches.
- Top with Mexican cheese, guacamole, salsa, diced tomatoes, or sour cream.
- I like to serve these with Mexican rice, refried beans, black beans or chips, and salsa.
- Instead of Monterey jack cheese, you can use cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese blend.
Do you have questions about this air fryer enchilada recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this recipe.
You can store these enchiladas in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
To reheat, cook at 350 degrees in the air fryer for 4 – 6 minutes or until heated.
Yes, you can freeze these for up to 2 months.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you like air fryer recipes, give these recipes a try:
- Air Fryer Animal Style Fries
- Easy Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Air Fryer Shrimp Po Boy
- Air Fryer Nachos
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Air Fryer Cheese Enchiladas
- Measuring cup
- baking pan it needs to fit in your air fryer. Cake pans can work depending on the size of your air fryer.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 cup green chiles canned
- 2 pounds Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 15-20 yellow corn tortillas
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt your butter. When the butter starts to boil and foam, whisk in flour and cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil stirring frequently.
- Once boiling, add the sour cream and whisk until melted. Allow the cream sauce to thicken. Add the chilies and spices.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Microwave the tortillas to soften them.
- In a pan that fits your air fryer basket, pour sauce to coat the bottom.
- Roll your tortillas with a pinch of shredded cheese. Place in pan. Coat the top of the tortillas with more sauce and top with cheese
- Cook at 350 for 6 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Garnish with sour cream, green onions, and cilantro.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!