Slow Cooker Short Ribs are very easy to make and the outcome is delicious. This keto-approved dinner recipe will become a favorite after the first bite. I love that this can cook all day while I work!
WHAT ARE SHORT RIBS?
Short ribs are exactly what the name says they are, LOL. They are “short” in length ribs from a cow.
These short ribs come from the chuck section of the animal. The short ribs don’t make good steak due to their short length.
Luckily there are many other delicious ways to use short ribs in your cooking.
Short ribs have yummy marbling and the great beefy taste of chuck roast. If you haven’t tried short ribs there is no time like NOW to give them a whirl.
INGREDIENTS FOR SLOW COOKER SHORT RIBS
I love how this recipe makes a delicious sauce or gravy for the ribs. It really adds to the overall awesomeness of this recipe.
- Boneless Short Ribs
- Olive Oil
- Whole Bay Leaves
- Tomato Paste
- Dijon Mustard
- Beef Bouillon Powder
- Fresh Thyme
- Red Cooking Wine
- Salt and Pepper
- Heavy Whipping Cream
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER SHORT RIBS
This isn’t exactly a dump and go recipe, but almost! The meat has to be seared first, but it is WORTH the step and yields a more delicious rib.
STEP ONE: SEAR RIBS
Grab your skillet and add the olive oil. Heat it up over medium-high heat.
Season the short ribs with salt and pepper for your taste buds.
Place the meat in the skillet and sear the short ribs on all sides.
When they are done searing place the ribs in the bottom of your slow cooker.
STEP TWO: MAKE SAUCE
Take a mixing bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the Dijon mustard. Add 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme and 3 teaspoons of the beef bouillon powder to the bowl.
Now pour in 1 cup of the red cooking wine.
Whisk these ingredients together so they are well combined.
STEP THREE: ADD TO SLOW COOKER
Take 2 whole bay leaves and add them to the slow cooker.
Pour the liquid mixture over the top of the meat.
Put the lid on the slow cooker.
STEP FOUR: COOK
Cook the meat on low heat for 8 hours.
Lots of slow cooker recipes allow you to choose from a shorter cooking time on high heat or a longer cooking time on low heat. This particular recipe turns out much better when you cook it on low heat for the longer time period.
The low temperature works best so your meat turns out extra tender!!
STEP FIVE: MAKE GRAVY
When the meat is done cooking remove it from the slow cooker.
Pour the juices that are in the slow cooker into the skillet and turn it on medium heat.
Add the 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream to the skillet and whisk it into the juices until they are well combined.
Allow the sauce to come to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium.
Continue cooking the gravy until it reaches the consistency you desire.
Spoon gravy over the meat before serving! This is such a delicious comfort food! It tastes great served over rice, cauliflower rice for keto followers or even mashed potatoes.
SLOW COOKER SHORT RIBS RECIPE
You can download and print off this amazing slow cooker beef short ribs recipe via the recipe card below. It has the complete ingredients and instructions.
Slow Cooker Short Ribs
- Slow Cooker
- 2-3 lbs. Boneless short ribs
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 whole Bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp Beef bouillon powder
- 2 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 cup Red cooking wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Heavy whipping cream
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste to the meat, and sear the boneless short ribs on all sides. Place them into the bottom of a slow cooker pot when you have finished.
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 tbsp of dijon mustard.
- Add in 1 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tsp fresh chopped thyme and 3 tsp of beef bouillon powder.
- Pour in 1 cup of red wine, and whisk all of the ingredients together well.
- Place two whole bay leaves in the slow cooker.
- Pour the red wine mixture over top of the meat, place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on low heat for 8 hours. For this recipe, low temperature is best. You may be able to substitute a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time, but your meat may not be as tender.
- Once finished, remove the meat from the slow cooker, and pour the juices into a skillet over medium heat.
- Pour in ½ cup of heavy whipping cream, and whisk the sauce well.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium again. Cook down until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
If you loved this beef recipe be sure to check these other great recipes out:
- Quick and Easy Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot Beef Carnitas
- USO Burgers
- Instant Pot Carne Guisada
Be sure to PIN this recipe so you can come back and make it again and again!