Last Updated on April 13, 2020 by Corinne Schmitt
When fellow blogger Susan Conley offered to share her Fried Chicken Spring Rolls recipe with my readers, I cheerfully agreed to have her guest post. These spring rolls will be the perfect side dish for my Thai Chicken Rice Bowls!
Fried chicken spring rolls can serve as an appetizer, side dish or even the main dish. Learn how to make this yummy Asian treat in this article.
What is your favorite Chinese food? Is it Peking roasted duck? Do you dig dumplings? Or do you love sweet and sour pork? If you were to ask me, I’ve always liked spring rolls. These are Cantonese dim sum with a cylindrical shape. It has vegetable or meat fillings, with a taste that’s either savory or sweet.
History of Spring Rolls
Spring rolls have been around for quite some time. It is said that spring rolls were first made before the Tang Dynasty, which ruled China from 618 to 907 A.D. During those times, the Chinese made a thin pancake with flour during the beginning of spring. They would then send this to loved ones as a present.
The name of the pancake eventually evolved from “spring dish” to just “spring rolls.”
These days, spring rolls are usually served with dipping sauces. They can serve as an appetizer or snack. Other people (especially those who are on a diet) consider it as a dish in itself.
Spring rolls are delicious. Imagine biting its crispy outer shell, then tasting a warm and delicious filling that was dipped in a sweet sauce. Doesn’t that sound inviting or tempting enough for you to try making spring rolls?
But are spring rolls nutritious?
Health Benefits of Spring Rolls
Since spring rolls consist mainly of vegetables, then this yummy Chinese food is rich in nutrients.
In the recipe that I am sharing below, two vegetables stand out—water chestnuts and carrots.
Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of these vegetables.
Water chestnuts are often mistaken as a nut because of its name. Actually, it is an aquatic vegetable. Its long and slender stems grow above water while its bulb that grows underwater stores food for the plant.
Fresh water chestnuts have a sweet flavor. However, their taste becomes bland after the canning process. Don’t worry as we will be using fresh water chestnuts for the recipe below.
It is rich in soluble fiber, which can help in lowering cholesterol and keeping blood sugar to ideal levels. Of course, most of us know that fiber can make you regular and also prevent constipation.
Water chestnuts are also rich in vitamin B-6. This vitamin keeps our hearts healthy. Vitamin B-6 also activates enzymes that aid in the production of neurotransmitters that promote sound sleep and good mood.
Potassium is another nutrient that is found in water chestnuts. Potassium helps in stimulating muscle and nerves, as well as the good function of the heart. It can also counter the negative effects of sodium and help lower blood pressure.
The other vegetable used in our recipe, carrot, is one of the most nutritious foods I know.
Carrots are known to be good for the heart. It can lower blood pressure, improve immunity, and fight off cancer. It can also improve eyesight and promote good oral health.
Fried chicken Spring Rolls Recipe
Now let’s go to the recipe itself. This fried chicken spring rolls recipe should take about 10 minutes of preparation and 20 minutes of cooking. It can yield 10 servings.
How to Make Fried Chicken Spring Rolls
- Five lumpia wrappers
- One green onion
- Six water chestnuts
- One medium carrot
- Cooking oil
- 200 grams of boneless chicken
- One-half teaspoon of salt
- One-half teaspoon of black pepper
- One-half teaspoon of five spice powder
- One-half teaspoon of sugar
- One tablespoon of flour
- One tablespoon of water
- Start by chopping the water chestnuts, carrots, and green onions.
- Mince the chicken in a food processor. Set aside.
- Mix the minced chicken with the onions, water chestnuts, and carrot in a bowl. Add the five spice powder, sugar, salt and black pepper. Make sure that the ingredients are well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and water together. Stir until the mixture reaches a paste consistency.
- It’s now time to assemble the spring roll. Fold the lumpia wrapper in half. Open it and put two tablespoons of filling along the creased line. Roll the bottommost edge over the filling then completely roll up to enclose the filling.
- Seal the edge with flour paste. Continue this process with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Put the rolls in a pan. Cover it and refrigerate until you are ready to cook them.
- Cut each roll crosswise into three pieces. Heat oil to 180 degrees Celsius in a deep frying pan. Deep fry the roll 2-3 pieces at a time. Turn them once or until they become golden brown in color.
- Remove the rolls and put them on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess grease. You can now serve these spring rolls.
Fried chicken spring rolls can be an appetizer, snack or if you are trying to lose weight, the main dish itself. This is a very yummy Asian treat that I always recommend to my friends. Aside from being delicious, it is simple to prepare, too.
About the Author
Susan is the owner of the blog cookthestone.com. She likes cooking and blogging, so most of her time is in the kitchen. You will see how she is passionate about her blog to share useful information with many people. Let’s encourage her by leaving your comments below. She will appreciate that