If you love Italian comfort food, you’re going to love this Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli. It’s easy and quick to make in the pressure cooker, and it’s loaded with flavor.
What’s not to love about Instant Pot soup recipes? They are simple and full of delicious flavors. So if you’re looking for a quick and easy meal, this is the dish for you!
- Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Why I Love This Recipe
- Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
- How to Make Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli
- Variations / Options / Add-Ins
- More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli Recipe
- Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli
Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli Soup
Pressure cookers are amazing for making quick and easy meals. They cook with high pressure which helps food cook faster, but also retains moisture so your food doesn’t dry out.
Since the pot is sealed, all of the flavors stay in the pot, which means that your food is super flavorful. So if you’re looking for an easy and delicious Instant Pot recipe, look no further than this Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli.
Why I Love This Recipe
This delicious, hearty Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli is perfect for those looking to enjoy an Italian dish without all of the work. It can be made on a weeknight and enjoyed in just 30 minutes!
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Easy to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love Instant Pot soup recipes, then next time give this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe a try.
You don’t need any fancy ingredients to make this dish, just basic pantry staples that you probably already have on hand.
- pancetta, diced
- minced garlic
- white onion, diced
- celery, diced
- carrots, diced
- canned diced tomatoes
- vegetable broth
- dried small shell pasta
- sprigs of thyme
- basil leaves
- canned cannellini beans (or white navy beans), drained and rinsed
- red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- cracked black pepper
- parsley and parmesan cheese for topping
Bacon: Bacon can be used in place of pancetta if you prefer.
Chicken broth: Don’t have vegetable broth, you can use chicken broth instead.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this easy Italian soup recipe.
How to Make Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli
This recipe comes together in just a few simple steps. Follow these steps and you will have a delicious soup in no time at all.
Step 1: Saute the pancetta, onion, and garlic
Place instant pot on saute mode. Add in pancetta, onion, and garlic. Saute for 2 to 4 minutes. Turn off saute mode.
Step 2: Add vegetables and beans to the pressure cooker
Add carrots, celery, tomatoes with juice, and beans. Pour broth over the mixture.
Step 3: Add seasonings and water to the pot
Stir in thyme, basil, salt, and pepper. Pour in water to instant pot fill max line.
Step 4: Pressure cook the soup
Place lid on the instant pot and set to high pressure for 5 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting, release the pressure.
Step 5: Cook the pasta
Pasta can be cooked on the stove during this time. If you would like to cook it in the instant pot, set the soup to saute mode and add pasta. Pasta will cook as the soup comes to a boil. We don’t cook it in the same pot, as the pasta will expand over time and can become mushy if you plan to eat the soup as leftovers.
Step 6: Garnish and serve
Serve topped with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
There are so many ways that you can customize this Instant Pot soup recipe to make it your own. Here are a few ideas:
Make it vegetarian: To make this dish vegetarian, simply omit the pancetta and use vegetable broth.
Add more vegetables: Feel free to add more vegetables, such as zucchini, yellow squash, or green beans.
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli:
- If you want a thinner soup, you can add more broth or water.
- I recommend cooking the pasta separately and adding it to your bowls as you need it, so that it doesn’t become mushy in the soup.
- You can also puree the soup if you want a smoother consistency.
- This soup can be made ahead of time and reheated when you are ready to eat it. I find the flavors develop more as the soup sits.
Do you have questions about this Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked question.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and placed in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Pasta Fagioli can be reheated on the stove over medium heat, or in the microwave. If reheating in the microwave, heat in 30-second intervals stirring between each until heated through.
Yes, leftovers can also be frozen. Place in a freezer-safe container or bag and store in the freezer for 2 to 3 months. Let thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you like the Instant Pot, give these recipes a try:
- Instant Pot Bean and Bacon Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Leftover Turkey Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli
- measuring cup and spoon
- knife and cutting board
- Instant Pot
- 1/2 cup pancetta, diced (may sub bacon)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups dried small shell pasta
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 4 to 6 basil leaves
- 15 ounces canned cannellini beans or white navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 cups water
- Parsley and Parmesan cheese for topping
- Place instant pot on saute mode. Add in pancetta, onion, and garlic. Saute for 2 to 4 minutes. Turn off saute mode.
- Add carrots, celery, tomatoes with juice, and beans. Pour broth over the mixture.
- Stir in thyme, basil, salt, and pepper. Pour in water to instant pot fill max line.
- Place lid on the instant pot and set to high pressure for 5 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting, release the pressure.
- Pasta can be cooked on the stove during this time. If you would like to cook it in the instant pot, set the soup to saute mode and add pasta. Pasta will cook as the soup comes to a boil. We don't cook it in the same pot, as the pasta will expand over time and can become mushy if you plan to eat the soup as leftovers.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!