Instant Pot Cube Steak With Gravy is a great way to get a delicious and hearty meal on the table in no time! This recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to cook.
If you are looking for a classic comfort food recipe that your whole family will love then this is the recipe for you. This recipe is also perfect if you are trying to save money on groceries because it uses inexpensive and budget friendly ingredients.
Why Make Cube Steak in the Instant Pot?
The Instant Pot cooks food under pressure which helps this recipe to cook quickly and evenly. I highly recommend using an Instant Pot for this recipe, because you will get fork tender cube steak that will melt in your mouth without having to use a meat tenderizer.
If you have never cooked with an Instant Pot before, don’t worry! They are very easy to use and come with clear instructions. If you’ve never tried cooking with a pressure cooker, then this is the recipe for you.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This cube steak with gravy is a great family-friendly weeknight dinner when you don’t want anything too complicated. Here are some of the reasons it’s one of my favorite Instant Pot beef recipes:
- Short cook time! It’s ready in under 30 minutes.
- The pressure cooker does most of the work so it’s easy to make.
- Kids and adults both love it. No dinner complainers when you serve this meal.
- It smells great while it’s cooking!
This recipe only requires a few simple ingredients that are all easy to find at your local grocery store. You will be ready to make this delicious dish in no time at all.
- French onion soup: The secret ingredient to the flavorful gravy! Tons of flavor that you can just open and pour right into your electric pressure cooker.
- Cream of mushroom or chicken soup: Adds flavor and the creamy consistency to the gravy.
- Au Jus mix: Another flavor shortcut!
- Cube steaks: Sometimes called minute steak, this inexpensive cut of beef is flavorful, cooks fast, and is easy to make in your Instant Pot.
Steak: Cube steak is a very inexpensive cut of meat. Another option that is also affordable and will yield good results in this recipe is round steak.
Cream Soup: I actually prefer this recipe with cream of mushroom soup but had cream of chicken soup on hand so that’s what you’ll see pictured in the images. Either one works!
Onion Soup: Instead of French Onion soup, you can use a dry onion soup mix stirred together with a cup of beef broth.
Gravy Mix – Instead of au jus mix, you can use a brown gravy packet if you have one on hand.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
There are many ways that you can change this recipe to fit your tastes and preferences.
Vegetables: You can add any of your favorite vegetables to this recipe to customize the flavor. Some options include baby carrots, corn on the cob, or potatoes.
Seasonings: To change up the flavor of this dish, you may want to try a different seasoning blend. Options include Italian seasoning mix, Montreal steak seasoning, or cajun spice mix.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few helpful tools to help make this easy dinner.
How to Make Instant Pot Cube Steak and Gravy
This recipe is very easy to make and only requires a few simple steps. The best part is that you will have a delicious and hearty meal on the table in no time.
Step 1: Add water, soups and gravy mix to the pressure cooker
Combine 1 ¼ cups water or beef stock, cream of mushroom/chicken soup, Au Jus mix and onion soup together in an Instant pot. Mix well.
Step 2: Add cubed steak to the Instant pot
Add the cube steaks to the pot. Then, turn the Instant Pot on.
Step 3: Pressure cook the steaks
Attach the lid and turn valve to “sealing” position. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. It will take the pot a few minutes to come to pressure so the time won’t start counting down right away.
Step 4: Quick release the pressure
Once it beeps (notifying you that it’s ready) turn the valve to “venting.” This is also known as the “quick release.” The steam will be very hot so be careful when doing this. Do not remove the lid until the steam has fully stopped and the pressure indicator drops.
Step 5: Turn off Instant Pot
Remove the lid. Remove the cube steaks from the pot. Turn OFF the pot.
Step 6: Make the gravy
Now, we just need to turn all those delicious juices in the bottom of the pot into a gravy.
In a small bowl or cup, combine ¼ cup water and cornstarch to create a “slurry” that we’ll use to thicken the gravy. Pour the slurry into the onion gravy mixture and whisk well.
There is no need to use the sauté setting for this recipe. The liquid should be hot enough to thicken the gravy once the slurry has been added.
Step 7: Add the cube steaks back to the gravy
Put steaks back into the pot. Attach the lid and leave the instant pot turned off. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Instant Pot Cubed Steak goes well with a variety of side dishes such as:
Do you have questions about this Pressure Cooker Cube Steak recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
To store leftovers, let the steak cool completely and then place in a sealed container in your fridge.
To reheat leftovers, place the steak in a microwave-safe container and cook for 2-3 mins on high. If the cubed steak is frozen, you may need to cook it for longer. You can also reheat the steak by placing it in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through.
Yes, you can freeze cubed steak before or after cooking. Simply place in a freezer-safe container with a layer of foil or plastic wrap over the top. To reheat, place in the microwave for 2-3 mins.
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you like cooking with your Instant Pot, give these recipes a try:
- Instant Pot Cornbread
- Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Chocolate Cheesecake
- Pressure Cooker Ribs
Ready to make this recipe? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Instant Pot Cube Steak with Gravy
- Measuring cup
- Instant Pot
- Small bowl
- Combine 1 ¼ cups water, cream of chicken soup, Au Jus mix and French onion soup together in an Instant pot. Mix well.
- Add cubed steak to the pot.
- Attach lid and turn valve to “sealing” position. Set manual pressure to 20 mins.
- Once it beeps (notifying you that it's ready) turn the valve to “venting.” This is also known as the “quick release.” The steam will be very hot so be careful when doing this. Do not remove the lid until the steam has fully stopped.
- Remove the lid. Remove steak from the pan. Turn OFF the instant pot.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine ¼ cup water and cornstarch to create a “slurry.” Pour mixture into gravy mixture and whisk well.
- Put steaks back into the gravy mixture. Attach the lid and leave the instant pot turned off. Keep warm until ready to serve.