Last Updated on September 9, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
Instant Pot Cornbread is a southern classic with a pressure cooker twist. No need to heat up the oven next time you are craving a slice of this southern comfort food, with this Instant Pot recipe.
If you love Instant Pot bread recipes, then this is the recipe for you. The Instant Pot creates a moist and fluffy cornbread that will be loved by everyone.
- Instant Pot Cornbread
- Why I Love This Recipe
- Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
- How to Make Instant Pot Cornbread
- Variations / Options / Add-Ins
- Serving Suggestions
- More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Cornbread Recipe
- Instant Pot Cornbread
Instant Pot Cornbread
Cornbread is made by using ground cornmeal. Cornmeal is produced by grinding dried corn kernels into a coarse powder. The texture of cornmeal can range from fine to coarse, depending on how it is ground.
In the south, cornbread is traditionally served as a side dish with meals such as beans, greens, and barbecued meats. Cornbread can also be enjoyed as a snack or breakfast food.
Why I Love This Recipe
There are so many reasons to love this recipe. First, it is so easy to make. The cornbread batter comes together quickly and then it is cooked in the Instant Pot. Here are the other reasons:
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Easy to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love Instant Pot bread recipes, give this Instant Pot French Bread recipe a try.
This recipe only calls for a few simple ingredients that are easy to find at your local grocery store. You may already have these ingredients on hand which can save you a trip to the grocery store.
- self-rising white cornmeal mix
- unsalted butter, melted
- egg, beaten
Cornmeal: If you don’t have self-rising cornmeal, you will need to add one teaspoon of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to your cornmeal.
Butter: If you only have salted butter on hand, you can use that in place of unsalted butter.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few pieces of equipment to make this recipe. Most likely you already have everything you need in your kitchen.
How to Make Instant Pot Cornbread
This Instant Pot Cornbread recipe is easy to follow and comes together in just a few simple steps. You will be so glad that you made this southern side dish.
Step 1: Mix ingredients until the batter is smooth
Mix together ingredients until smooth, being careful to not overmix.
Step 2: Spray a 7-inch pan with cooking spray
Spray a 7-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour batter into the pan and spread it out evenly. Cover tightly with foil.
Step 3: Pressure cook the cornbread
Turn the pressure valve to sealing and set manual pressure on high for 20 minutes.
Step 4: Quick release the pressure
Do a quick release when pressure time has finished.
Step 5: Remove the cornbread
Remove the lid and cornbread. Let it cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
There are so many ways that you can change up this recipe. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
Add in cheese: Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, or Colby cheese to the cornbread batter for a cheesy twist.
Mix in some diced jalapenos: For a little bit of heat, add 1/4 cup of diced jalapeno peppers to the cornbread batter.
Make it sweet: Mix 1/4 cup of sugar into the cornbread batter for a sweeter cornbread.
There are so many ways that you can enjoy this cornbread. Serve it plain or with any of these delicious toppings and sides.
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect cornbread.
- Mix the ingredients until they are just combined. Overmixing will result in a tough cornbread.
- Make sure to spray your pan with cooking spray. This will help to prevent the cornbread from sticking to the pan and making it difficult to remove.
- For best results, use a 7-inch pan. This size will fit perfectly in the Instant Pot and will result in the perfect cornbread.
- If you want to make a larger batch of cornbread, you can double the recipe and cook it in two 7-inch pans.
- For best results, let the cornbread cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. This will help to prevent it from falling apart.
Do you have questions about this Instant Pot Cornbread recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Cornbread is best enjoyed fresh but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place cornbread on a baking sheet. Heat for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
Yes, cornbread can be frozen. Let the cornbread cool completely and then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. It will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you like Instant Pot recipes, give these recipes a try:
Instant Pot Cornbread Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Instant Pot Cornbread
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring cup
- 7-inch cake pan
- Instant Pot
- Aluminum foil
- 2 cups self-rising white corn meal mix
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg beaten
- Mix together ingredients until smooth, being careful to not overmix.
- Spray a 7-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour batter into the pan and spread it out evenly. Cover tightly with foil.
- Turn pressure valve to sealing and set manual pressure on high for 20 minutes.
- Do a quick release when pressure time has finished.
- Remove the pan from the Instant Pot and allow it to cool for five minutes before cutting.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!