One of the reasons I LOVE my Instant Pot is that it is so easy and allows me to prepare so many meals in ONE pot! This recipe is no exception.
Step One – Sauté
Since we won’t be grilling or broiling our drum sticks, we need to brown them to give them a nice, crisp coat. Sauté them in the Instant Pot with the onions, garlic powder and seasoned salt.
Step Two – Sauce
Once the onions are translucent and the chicken thighs are browned, coat the chicken in BBQ sauce.
Step Three – Pressure Cook
Now, just secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. When it’s done cooking, quick release the pressure. Serve warm.
Note: If you made this recipe before 8/2/17, the original recipe called for an additional 1/2 cup of water to ensure the dish would come to pressure. The BBQ sauce and the juices from the chicken produce enough liquid to result in pressure build-up so I’ve eliminated the water which was ruining the sauce for many readers.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Recipe
This recipe should serve a family of 4, assuming two of them are kids. If you have older kids like I do, you will probably need to double the recipe. I literally just double ALL of the ingredients and cook it for the same amount of time.
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 8 Chicken Drum Sticks
- 1 large Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- 1 Cup Reduced Fat BBQ Sauce
- Sauté olive oil, chicken, onions, garlic powder, and seasoned salt for 5 minutes.
- Change instant pot function to meat/stew setting set timer for 12 minutes.
- Add BBQ sauce and distribute evenly.
- Be sure that steam is on sealing not venting before locking lid.
- Allow to cook for 12 minutes.
- Reduce steam to venting and turn off.
More Instant Pot Recipes
As I mentioned, I’m slightly obsessed with my Instant Pot. I’m slowly converting my family’s recipes for the Instant Pot. Some of our favorites so far are:
Latest posts by Corinne Schmitt (see all)
- 5 Sleepover Games Your Kids & Their Friends Are Going to Love - August 18, 2017
- September Acts of Kindness Calendar - August 17, 2017
- 20 DIY Games for Family Game Night - August 16, 2017