Last Updated on July 13, 2021 by Corinne Schmitt
This easy homemade mint chip ice cream recipe is perfect for people who love that mint flavor. Sweetened condensed milk ice cream recipes are delicious and very simple to make.
DO I NEED AN ICE CREAM MAKER?
As a child, we always made homemade ice cream during the summer months. Looking back at this family activity as an adult I realize how much work it really was for my parents!
We had to haul out the big ice cream maker. There were “special” ingredients that had to be purchased and then making the ice cream itself was very labor intensive.
I am here to tell you that making this easy homemade mint chip ice cream recipe is done WITHOUT an ice cream maker! YIPPEE!
The ingredients are fairly basic and nothing crazy like bags of rock salt!
I know there are updated ice cream makers out there that do the work without the rock salt, but why add another appliance to my pantry when I can do it all without one??
INGREDIENTS FOR MINT CHIP ICE CREAM
We really like ice cream at my house. I have started just keeping the basic ingredients on hand all the time so we can make a batch up when the mood strikes us.
Sweetened condensed milk is easy to stock in the pantry and heavy cream has a long expiration date in the refrigerator.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Heavy Cream
- Mint Extract
- Green Food Coloring Gel (I have found gel works the best)
- Mint Chips
HOW TO MAKE EASY HOMEMADE MINT CHIP ICE CREAM
I love easy recipes and whenever ice cream is in the house it never lasts long! This is a fun recipe to make with kids too! The taste is so much better than store bought.
STEP ONE: MIX INGREDIENTS
The first step is to grab a large bowl and add the heavy whipping cream. Beat the cream until it is thick. I like to use a stand mixer, but a hand mixer will work too!
Once the cream is thick, pour in the sweetened condensed milk and mint extract and fold in until smooth.
STEP TWO: COLOR IT GREEN
Now it is time to add the food coloring gel. I like to add one drop at a time until it is the shade of green I like.
This is a personal choice so make it as light or as bright as you want!
STEP THREE: LAYER
Take a freezer safe container and pour about 1/2 of the ice cream mixture into the container.
Sprinkle half of the mint chips on top of this ice cream layer.
Now pour the remaining ice cream mixture on top and finish it off by sprinkling the remaining mint chips on the very top.
If you prefer having mint chips mixed all throughout the ice cream just mix the mint chips into the ice cream mixture before you transfer it to the freezer container.
STEP FOUR: FREEZE
Place the container in the freezer for about 5-6 hours or until frozen well.
When you are ready for a treat, take the container out of the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes to thaw a little bit before serving.
Remember to keep any leftovers in the freezer.
EASY HOMEMADE MINT CHIP ICE CREAM RECIPE
I know you are excited about making this easy ice cream recipe! You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions via the recipe card below.
Easy Homemade Mint Chip Ice Cream Recipe
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- ½ - 1 teaspoon mint extract to taste
- Green food coloring gel works best, add a drop at a time until you reach the desired color
- 3/4 cup mint chips
- With a mixer, beat heavy whipping cream until thick. Pour in sweetened condensed milk and mint and fold in until smooth. Stir in the food coloring a drop at a time until you reach the desired shade of green.
- Next, pour half the ice cream into a freezer safe container. Top with half of the mint chips. Repeat with another layer and top with the remaining mint chips. You can also stir part of the mint chips in when you are folding in the other ingredients if you want the chips mixed in more.
- Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight. When it is time to serve, remove from freezer and let sit on the counter to soften for 5-10 minutes before serving.
If you loved this homemade ice cream recipe be sure to check out these other family favorites:
- No-Churn Oreo Ice Cream
- Homemade Tropical Ice Cream
- Easy Homemade Lemon Blueberry Ice Cream
- Homemade Bubble Gum Ice Cream
Be sure to PIN this mint chip ice cream recipe so you can come back and make it again!