When you are moving into a new home a house checklist is very important. There are so many items needed when you move, it is vital that you keep a list of what you will need!
WHAT IS A NEW HOUSE CHECKLIST?
I have moved many many times in my adult life. As the wife of a marine, we have done our share of moving and I feel I am an expert at it now!
Every move presents new challenges and there are always things that need to be done before hand so that the transition is smooth. One way to get off to a rocky start is to not have the supplies needed for a new home.
When I say new home I don’t mean you are moving into a newly built home. A new home is just a new to you home! 🙂 Both types of new homes require organization for a seamless transition.
Moving into a new home requires a lot of cleaning. It is wonderful if you have time to do it BEFORE all the belongings are moved in, but that doesn’t always happen.
If someone lived in the house before you then you will definitely want to deep clean the home. There is just something about other people’s “germs” that don’t sit well with me.
Some cleaning supplies I want to have ready and on hand are these:
- Lots of rags and sponges
- All-purpose cleaner works on so many surfaces
- Broom, mop, vacuum and extra vacuum bags
- Rubber gloves for those really yucky areas
- Paper towels, disinfectant wipes
- New toilet brushes for all the toilets and toilet bowl cleaner
- Glass cleaner
- Air fresheners
I have a cleaning kit ready to go the minute we have access to the house and I take along this house checklist to stay on target!
TOOLS AND LIGHTING
It always surprises me how many items have to be taken apart and put back together when we move. Tools are a must for moving.
Lighting fixtures are different in every house and it is important to find out what kind of bulbs you will need for the new home.
Here are some items in the tools and lighting categories that have made moves easier for us:
- Extra light bulbs
- Extension cords and power strips
- New outlet and light covers
- Picture hooks and command strips
- Box cutter
- Tape measure
- Screwdriver and extra screws
- Hammer and extra nails
- Electric drill may also be handy
KITCHEN AND BATH
The kitchen and bathrooms typically need the most work. There is more deep cleaning to be done and there are certain items that are very important in these spaces!
- Kitchen rugs
- Soap dispensers for all baths and the kitchen
- Paper goods like toilet paper, napkins, paper towels
- Bath mats and rugs
- Shower curtain rods
- Shower curtains and hooks
- Toilet plunger for each bathroom
- New toilet seats
- Shelf liners
Lots of the items on the house checklist fall into a miscellaneous category, but are still important.
My checklist always includes these things:
- Tape–scotch, masking, packing and duct
- Laundry baskets and hampers
- Trash cans for indoor and outdoor
- Fire Extinguisher
- Window coverings
- Front and back door mats
- Area rugs
- Organizational items
- Storage bins
FREE PRINTABLE NEW HOUSE CHECKLIST
You can download and print off this free printable new house checklist for your own personal use. I know it will come in very handy for you!
Just click the image below or this link to download: House Checklist
If you need more organizational printables be sure to check these out:
- Spring Home Maintenance Checklist
- Yearly Home Maintenance Checklist
- Linen Closet Checklist
- Kids Daily Routine Printable
Don’t forget to PIN this house checklist so you can refer to it again the next time you move!