Last Updated on January 10, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
These Chocolate Cherry Cookies are soft chocolate cookies, filled with a maraschino cherry and then drizzled with white chocolate. Rich and filled with chocolate flavor these cookies are bound to be a success with your family and friends.
If you love chocolate cookies as much as I do, then this is the recipe for you. Nothing says delicious more than cherry and chocolate flavors mixed together into a dessert.
Chocolate Cherry Cookie Recipe
Cherries are one of my favorite fruits, I love cherries in all their forms. It’s a good thing that cherries have health benefits since I love them so much; cherries are low in calories and full of fiber and other vitamins.
Why I Love This Recipe
Chocolate Cherry Cookies are rich and chocolate cookies that are filled with sweet cherry flavor.
- Ready in under 45 minutes
- Easy to make
- Fun to make
- Always a hit at parties
- Looks beautiful on a plate
If you love fruity cookie recipes you may also enjoy this Strawberry Lemonade Crinkle Cookie recipe.
These Chocolate Cherry Cookies don’t need a lot of ingredients, you most likely already have these ingredients on hand which can save you a trip to the grocery store.
- butter softened
- large egg, room temperature
- whole milk
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- cocoa powder
- maraschino cherries
- white candy melts
Self-rising flour: Are you out of all-purpose? Use self-rising and skip the salt in this recipe.
Candy Melts: Can’t find candy melts? Almond bark or white chocolate will work in its place.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
Ready to bake these rich and sweet cookies? Gather these basic kitchen tools and you are ready to cook.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Are you ready to enjoy some delicious chocolate cookies? Follow these seven easy steps and you will have some delicious chocolate cookies.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the baking pan
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Step 2: Mix wet ingredients
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Next, add egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
Step 3: Add in dry ingredients
Add flour, cocoa powder, and salt to a smaller bowl and combine. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until cookie batter forms.
Step 4: Shape cookie dough
Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place gently on a lined baking sheet. Press down slightly in the center of each cookie, creating a small indent of about half an inch wide.
Step 5: Add cherries
Add a maraschino cherry to the indent of each cookie.
Step 6: Bake the cookies
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes and allow to cool.
Step 7: Drizzle the cookies
Melt candy in a microwave-safe bowl by microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval. Scoop melted candy into a piping bag and drizzle over on top of each cookie. Allow drizzle to set before serving.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Chocolate Chips: Fold in one cup of chocolate chips or chunks into your cookie dough for an extra chocolate taste.
Nuts: Add in 1/2 cup of chopped nuts to cookie dough for an added crunch.
Dark Chocolate: Love chocolate? Use dark chocolate or milk chocolate to drizzle your cookies instead of white chocolate.
Looking for ways to use up your cookies? Here are my favorite ways to enjoy these cookies.
- teacher gifts
- neighbor gifts
- cookie swaps
- donate to your local police or fire station
Do you have questions about Chocolate Cherry Cookies? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Store leftover cookies on the counter for up to five days in an airtight container.
Yes, you can double this recipe. Just be sure to bake your cookies in batches and not overcrowd your baking pan.
Yes, these cookies can be frozen for up to two months.
More Cookie Recipes
If you like cookies, give these recipes a try:
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookies
- Healthy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Homemade Almond Joy Cookies
- Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Cherry Cobbler with Cake Mix
Chocolate Cherry Cookies Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Mixing Bowls
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup white candy melts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Next, add egg, milk and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
- Add flour, cocoa powder and salt to a smaller bowl and combine. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until cookie batter forms.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place gently on lined baking sheet. Press down slightly in the center of each cookie, creating a small indent of about half an inch wide.
- Add a maraschino cherry in the indent of each cookie.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes and allow to cool.
- Melt candy in a microwave-safe bowl by microwaving in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval.
- Scoop melted candy into a piping bag and drizzle over on top of each cookie. Allow to set before serving.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!