Last Updated on March 2, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken has the perfect blend of spices and cheese to make this a delicious dinner recipe. A low carb meal that is lovely enough to serve to guests!
BENEFITS OF ASPARAGUS
Asparagus has always been an elegant vegetable. It is actually a member of the lily family of plants.
There are actually different kinds of asparagus. The most common variety is green. You may occasionally see white or purple asparagus.
Asparagus is high in folic acid and also have potassium, fiber, thiamin and vitamin A.
Many people eat asparagus raw or steamed. They cook very quickly and are a versatile veggie.
INGREDIENTS FOR ASPARAGUS STUFFED CHICKEN
This recipe only has a handful of ingredients other than spices. It is a great way to use those fresh asparagus spears in your refrigerator.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Asparagus Spears
- Sliced Provolone Cheese
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
HOW TO MAKE ASPARAGUS STUFFED CHICKEN
If you have never made a stuffed chicken recipe before, never fear! It is easier than you think and you will be doing it on a regular basis because it is so good!
STEP ONE: PREPARE CHICKEN
Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.
Take each chicken breast and cut a slit down the center lengthwise. It helps to use a very sharp knife. Do not cut all the way through the chicken.
STEP TWO: SEASON CHICKEN
Grab one tablespoon of olive oil and the seasonings. Season both sides of the chicken with the paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and olive oil.
STEP THREE: STUFF CHICKEN
Take the slices of provolone cheese and cut each piece in half. Place both halves into the slit inside the chicken breast.
Put one tablespoon of Monterey Jack shredded cheese on top of the provolone.
Go ahead and layer 5-6 small spears of asparagus on top of the cheeses.
Fold the chicken breast and secure the chicken with a toothpick to help keep the fillings inside.
STEP FIVE: COOK
Take a large skillet (that can be used in the oven also) and heat the last tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
Place the chicken breasts top side down into the hot skillet. Sear the chicken breasts on each side. When the chicken are done searing place the chicken breasts face up in the skillet.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
ASPARAGUS STUFFED CHICKEN RECIPE
There is no doubt that you are excited to make this asparagus stuffed chicken breast recipe. You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions via the recipe card below.
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- 4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 20-30 Small spears of asparagus
- 4 Slices of provolone
- 4 tablespoon Monterey jack shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- With a sharp knife, cut a slit lengthwise down the center of each chicken breast.
- Season both sides of each chicken breast with the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, paprika, 1 of the tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut each piece of provolone cheese in half, and place two halves into the pocket that you cut into each chicken breast.
- Place 1 tablespoon of shredded monterey jack cheese on top of the provolone cheese.
- Layer 5-6 pieces of small asparagus spears on top of the cheese on each chicken breast.
- Close the chicken breasts around the filling, and secure closed with a toothpick.
- Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken breasts top side down into the hot pan. Sear the chicken breasts on each side, and then place them back face up in the skillet.
- Bake the chicken breasts in the skillet at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
If you enjoyed this Asparagus Stuffed Chicken recipe be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Instant Pot Bacon and Asparagus Strata
- Baked Parmesan Asparagus Fries
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Instant Pot Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese
- Everything Bagel Chicken
Be sure to PIN this recipe so you can swing by and make it again and again!
2 thoughts on “Asparagus Stuffed Chicken”
Fantastic recipe! This was my first time to make it so I have to tweek how long to sear it then bake it because it was a bit dry. I will definitely be making this again 🙂
I’m glad you liked it, thanks for commenting and letting me know. That’s the great thing about recipes, you can adjust them to how you like it done.