One of the reasons I LOVE my Instant Pot is that it is so easy and allows me to prepare so many meals in ONE pot! This recipe is no exception.
Step One – Sauté
Since we won’t be grilling or broiling our drum sticks, we need to brown them to give them a nice, crisp coat. Sauté them in the Instant Pot with the onions, garlic powder and seasoned salt.
Step Two – Sauce
Once the onions are translucent and the chicken thighs are browned, coat the chicken in BBQ sauce.
Step Three – Pressure Cook
Now, just add water to help the Instant Pot build up steam and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. When it’s done cooking, quick release the pressure. Serve warm.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Recipe
This recipe should serve a family of 4, assuming two of them are kids. If you have older kids like I do, you will probably need to double the recipe. I literally just double ALL of the ingredients and cook it for the same amount of time.
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 8 Chicken Drum Sticks
- 1 large Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- 1 Cup Reduced Fat BBQ Sauce
- ½ Cup Water
- Sauté olive oil, chicken, onions, garlic powder, and seasoned salt for 5 minutes.
- Change instant pot function to meat/stew setting set timer for 12 minutes.
- Add BBQ sauce and distribute evenly.
- Add ½ cup of water and mix ingredients together.
- Be sure that steam is on sealing not venting before locking lid.
- Allow to cook for 12 minutes.
- Reduce steam to venting and turn off.
More Instant Pot Recipes
As I mentioned, I’m slightly obsessed with my Instant Pot. I’m slowly converting my family’s recipes for the Instant Pot. Some of our favorites so far are: