Last Updated on November 12, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
A yearly home maintenance checklist should be standard in every home, but a lot of people don’t do much annual maintenance. This printable checklist makes it easy to remember important things that need to be done around the house each year.
WHY DO YEARLY HOME MAINTENANCE?
Most home owners want to keep the value of their home as high as possible. One easy way to achieve this goal is to perform yearly home maintenance.
There are certain activities we can do each season to stay on top of the constant upkeep that a home requires. Grabbing a yearly home maintenance checklist makes the whole process simple. I know I need reminders of what needs to be done.
Each season brings certain maintenance activities that should be accomplished. It is easier to plan ahead for a season instead of feeling overwhelmed by looking at the whole year at once.
YEARLY HOME MAINTENANCE FOR WINTER
Winter is a time of year when cold temperatures can wreak havoc on our homes. It is also a time of year when we can do certain maintenance activities that don’t fit as well in warm weather.
Some of the important yearly home maintenance checklist items for winter are:
- test all the GFCI outlets in your home to make sure they are working properly
- check the sinks and toilets in your home for leaks
- change the direction all of the ceiling fans are running
- perfect time to test the sump pump function
- check all the grout in the tile in the bathrooms and kitchen, re-grout as needed
- change furnace filter each month
- check the hoses on all the appliances for leaks
YEARLY HOME MAINTENANCE FOR SPRING
Spring time is warming the earth and reawakening our surroundings. There are things that need to be switched out and checked during spring.
Some of the important yearly home maintenance checklist items for spring are:
- repair or replace damaged window screens
- clean winter debris from gutters
- clean and seal deck so it is ready for outdoor events
- inspect roof for any damaged shingles, repair as needed
- check and replace any bad or cracked caulking around windows, doors, etc.
- look at siding for loose boards and renail as needed
- take off storm windows and replace with window screens
- drain sediment from hot water tank and steam heating system
YEARLY HOME MAINTENANCE FOR SUMMER
Everyone loves summer and the longer days it brings. This is a great time to work on some big projects around the house.
Some of the important yearly home maintenance checklist items for summer are:
- wash the exterior of the house, touch up paint as needed
- inspect exterior of house and yard for signs of destructive insects
- deep clean carpets and hard wood floors
- clean the kitchen exhaust hood and filter
- inspect the basement and crawl space area for any moisture issues
- vacuum the refrigerator coils and clean behind the fridge
- walk around the house and inspect the foundation for drainage problems
YEARLY HOME MAINTENANCE FOR FALL
Fall is the perfect time to prepare the house for winter time. The weather is usually great for outdoor projects too.
Some of the important yearly home maintenance checklist items for fall are:
- insulate any exposed pipes if needed
- take off window screens and install storm windows
- turn off the outdoor water supply and store the hoses before the weather drops
- inspect, patch and seal any cracks in the driveway, steps or landings
- check the weatherstripping on windows and doors, repair it as needed
- oil the garage door tracks and clean out the garage if you have time
- have the chimney cleaned every year if it is wood-burning, every five years if it is gas
- check the damper in the fireplace to make sure it is free from obstructions
- prune the bushes, trees and shrubs
PRINTABLE YEARLY HOME MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
This printable yearly home maintenance checklist is not exhaustive and every home has it’s own important maintenance issues. There are also special home repairs that need to be done based on what part of the country you live in.
Download and print off this yearly home maintenance checklist and keep it handy.
Just fill in the form below to get the Yearly Home Maintenance Checklist.
Fill in the form above. After you submit the form, you’ll receive an email from “Wondermom Wannabe” with a direct link to the printable. If you do not see the email in your inbox within a few minutes, check your spam folder.
The most likely place will be in your computer’s Downloads folder. You can also select “Downloads” in your browser menu to see a list of your downloads, then simply select “Show in folder” below the file name to see where it is stored on your computer.
You’ll need a program that supports PDFS, like Adobe Acrobat (which is free). Open the program, click File > Print. Select your printer and set the number of copies you want to print. Double check your print preview, then click print.
MORE HOME PRINTABLES
I love staying on top of my to-do lists and keeping my home organized. Being organized saves me so much time in the end! I have some more great home printables that can help you too.
- 25+ Free Printables for Organizing Home Life
- Printable Cleaning Schedule
- Car Maintenance Checklist
- Get Organized Checklist for Kitchen
3 thoughts on “Yearly Home Maintenance Checklist”
Love this. Thank you for sharing! I think you should add heater maintenance to your list in Fall! Having a working heater is really important winter prep that needs to be done and the earlier the better. I found that out the hard way once my heater died out in the middle of winter in Chicago recently. Thank god for my HVAC Contractor from Global heating & Cooling. The quick repairs were very badly needed.
Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick at #OverTheMoon this week. Each Hostess displays their own features so be sure to visit me on Sunday evening and to see your feature! I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon. Please don’t forget to add your link numbers or post title so we can be sure to visit!
Thank you for this! I love lists like this, and I printed it off so we can get started!