Skip the snooze button. Get your blood flowing, warm up your muscles, and jump start your metabolism.
Perform each of the following exercises for one minute:
- Arm Circles (30 seconds forward, 30 seconds back)
- March or Jog in Place
- Side-to-Side Lunges (step out to the right, bend the right knee and sit back as if sitting on an invisible chair, return to center then step out to the left bending the left knee and sitting back–your knee should never stick out ahead of your toe, be sure to sit back into the lunge to keep the knee above your ankle)
- Jumping Jacks (if this is asking too much of your bladder first thing in the morning, you can substitute high knees or step ups onto a stool or on the stairs)
- Mountain Climbers (get into push up position then pretend you are running so that you alternately bring each knee up towards your chest)
- Overhead Side Reaches (reach right hand over your head towards the left until you feel the stretch, then switch and reach your left hand over your head towards the right)
- Push Ups (standard push ups for as long as you can, then knee push ups to finish)
- Twist Jumps (jump with legs together and twist them to the left, jump again and twist them to the right, continue alternating sides with each jump)
- Tuck Jumps (jump and bring both knees up as high as you can before you land)
- Plank (hold yourself up in push-up position)
That’s it! Ten minutes and you are done. Anyone can commit to 10 minutes of exercise. Make a pledge to yourself to fit this 10 minute workout into your morning (you only have to skip one press of the snooze button). Once you make it a habit, you can extend your session by doing it twice or performing each exercise for 90 second instead of one minute. If you tackle this goal slowly, you can gradually work your way up to a full 30 minute session in the morning which is the amount of exercise recommended by the CDC for adults to maintain good health.
If you are already in the habit of regular physical activity, this wakeup workout will help kick start your system in the morning. You’ll start your day with more energy and warmed up for your regular workout.
Latest posts by Corinne Schmitt (see all)
- Creamy Mexican Corn Salad - April 23, 2018
- Teach Your Kids to Do Laundry (Plus Free Laundry Cheat Sheet!) - April 20, 2018
- Over 75 Instant Pot Mexican Recipes - April 19, 2018