The past couple of weeks in our house have been hectic. Nothing major has happened, it’s just that our activity level has increased with the outdoor temperatures. As a result, it’s been more of a struggle to get healthy, homecooked meals on the table every night. And for some reason, though I love my crockpot, I don’t like to use it as much when the weather is warmer.
Kids Can Make Microwave Shrimp Primavera
I’m also trying to find recipes my kids can make. First, because I want them to learn to cook so they don’t starve to death when they grow up and move out. Second, because they tend to complain less about what I serve when they have their own time and effort invested in getting dinner on the table.
That’s how we came up with this shrimp primavera recipe that can be made entirely in the microwave. Also, because I wanted the kids to be able to make it with or without supervision, there’s no cutting involved.
Microwave Shrimp Primavera
- 1 lb frozen shrimp precooked, peeled, and deveined
- 1/2 pkg uncooked whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T lemon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 12 oz pkgs frozen vegetable blend e.g. broccoli, carrots, and red bell pepper
- Remove shrimp from freezer and follow instructions for thawing.
- Break noodles in half and layer them on the bottom of a microwaveable casserole dish.
- Sprinkle garlic powder and lemon pepper over the noodles. Then pour broth and cream over them.
- Cover and microwave on high for 7 minutes.
- Remove carefully from microwave and stir well. Cover and microwave on high for an additional 7-9 minutes until noodles are tender.
- Remove casserole dish carefully from microwave and add cream cheese and parmesan. Mix well. Stir in vegetables.
- Cover and microwave for 4-5 minutes until vegetables are heated through.
- Add shrimp and mix well. Serve immediately.
How I Made The Microwave Shrimp Primavera Healthier
I like to make this meal as healthy as possible, which is why I use whole wheat pasta, milk, 2 packages of vegetables and I go easy on the cheese. You can adapt this for pickier eaters by using regular pasta, heavy cream instead of milk, half the veggies and double the cheese.