These Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches are always a big hit with the whole family. They’re hearty sandwiches that are a meal you can hold in your hands – perfect for busy weeknights, especially if you have to eat on the run.
This is a favorite dinner in our house for several reasons. The kids love it because they get to eat with their hands.
My husband loves it because he loves anything that has meat in it, like this Instant Pot Roast With Potatoes and Carrots. And I love how affordable this meal is. Once you have a couple of teen boys eating you out of house and home, you become really appreciative of affordable meals!
How to Make Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak
Unlike most of my other recipes, this one does involve a few extra steps. The extra effort is well worth the results though, especially when it comes to no complaints about dinner from the kids!
Don’t worry, these Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches are still pretty easy to make. Here’s what you need to do to make them:
Step 1 – Sear the Roast
First, set your Instant Pot to sauté, add two tablespoons of oil and let it heat up. While you’re waiting, season the roast with salt and pepper. Once the oil is hot, add the roast and sear on each side.
Step 2 – Sauté the Vegetables
Next, you’ll remove the roast to a plate. Add some more olive oil to the pot, then add onions and garlic and sauté for two minutes.
Then, add the bell peppers and continue to cook until the peppers are softened and the onions are translucent.
Step 3 – Pressure Cook
Turn the pot off. Return the roast to the pot.
Secure the lid, select “Meat/Stew” and set the time for 40 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes.
Step 4 – Make the Sandwiches
Now you just need to assemble the sandwiches. If you like your rolls toasted, brush the inside of each half with butter or oil and broil them for 2 minutes.
Slice the roast into thin slices and layer onto the rolls along with the peppers and onions. Add cheese to each sandwich and pop under the broiler again for another minute to melt the cheese.
Slice in half to make them easier to eat. Your Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches are ready to serve!
Ready to make these Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches? Here’s the recipe card with the exact measurements.
Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- 2-3 lb pot roast (I used an eye round)
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 bell peppers chopped
- Olive oil or butter as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 rolls for serving
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese or 12 slices
- Place 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to your Instant Pot and select the Sauté setting.
- While the oil is getting hot, season your roast with salt and pepper.
- Place the roast in the Instant Pot and sear on each side (about 3-4 minutes in between turns).
- Remove the roast to a plate as you sauté the vegetables.
- Place the onions and garlic in the Instant Pot and saute 2 minutes before adding the sweet bell peppers.
- Continue cooking until onions are translucent and peppers are softened.
- Place the roast back into the instant pot and turn off the sauté setting.
- Select the meat/stew setting and increase the time to 40 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot is done, allow to natural release at least 10 minutes.
- Slice your buns in half lengthwise and brush some butter or olive oil on the cut rolls and place them in an oven set to broil for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Slice the roast and portion out with the peppers on the sandwiches, and then add cheese to each sandwich and return under the broiler for 1 minute to allow the cheese to melt.