This low carb Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan with marinara sauce is the perfect meal for days when you want to indulge and yet eat healthy! Pairing well with zucchini noodles or spaghetti, it’s one of the quickest Instant Pot Recipes!
Come home after a busy day and need to whip up something quick for dinner? I’ve been there! On those days, a flavorsome and scrumptious instant pot Italian chicken is just the right answer. My meal of choice? This chicken parmesan in marinara sauce that can be ready in less than half an hour.
What is Marinara Sauce?
Marinara sauce is a tomato-based sauce that originated in Southern Italy, in either Naples or Sicily mid-1600s. It’s made by sauteeing garlic in olive oil, and then adding tomatoes, herbs and water to the mixture.
Some recipes also add onions, basil or oregano. One of the simplest red sauces, marinara is often used as a base for other Italian sauces.
You don’t need many ingredients to make this instant pot parmesan chicken; most of the ingredients might be right in your pantry.
- Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Marinara Sauce
- Minced Basil Leaves
- Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
Just 25 minutes in an instant pot and dinner is ready. Making an instant pot Italian chicken recipe was never easier!
Step 1: Sauté the Chicken
With the instant pot on saute mode, add oil and the chicken breasts. Season the chicken with Morton’s Nature seasoning and brown the chicken breasts on both sides. Then, remove the chicken and set aside.
Step 2: Add Remaining Ingredients
Add the marinara sauce, chopped basil and minced garlic to the instant pot.
Next, add the chicken breasts on top of the sauce.
Seal the pot and let it cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
After this, let the pot vent to release pressure. Once the pressure has been released from the instant pot, open the lid.
Step 3: Add Cheese
Cover the chicken breasts with mozzarella cheese and then top that with the Parmesan cheese and the rest of the basil.
Close the lid and set the instant pot on warm till the cheese melts.
Step 4: Serve
Once the cheese has melted, plate up! Add a generous amount of sauce to the plate with the chicken and if you prefer, sprinkle with more fresh basil.
Optional Serving Suggestions and Tips
- Brown the chicken first so that it adds more flavor to the dish.
- After adding the cheese, do not leave the parmesan chicken in the pot for too long before serving, or the cheese will get rubbery.
- You can use homemade marinara sauce if you have some on hand.
- Serve the chicken parmesan with zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash for a fully low carb meal.
- If you’re not carb-conscious, serve the chicken parmesan with some Italian bread or spaghetti noodles. This spaghetti noodle recipe goes well with it. Just skip the meatballs.
- The chicken parmesan goes well with this creamy broccoli salad or this healthier sweet corn and watermelon salad.
FAQs About This Low Carb Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
Chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana are both the same dish, pollo alla parmagiana. Both consist of a breaded chicken cooked in tomato sauce and covered with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Here in the US, it’s nicknamed the chicken parm.
Although the original recipe requires breading, we’ve made this recipe low carb. So the bread is replaced with extra cheese, Morton’s Nature’s seasoning and garlic making it healthier!
Yes, you can put this dish in an air tight container and store it in the fridge for a few days. Remember to reheat before serving.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- Low-Carb Instant Pot Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers
- Instant Pot Caprese Chicken
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Recipe (Olive Garden Copycat)
- Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Chimichanga Recipe
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for this Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan recipe via the recipe card below.
If you love this recipe please leave a 5-star rating!
Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan (Low Carb)
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or to save calories, cooking spray works fine too!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Morton's Nature’s Seasoning or 1/2 tablespoon salt + 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoon fresh minced basil divided
- 1 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 tablespoon parmesan cheese grated
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Once hot, add the oil. Next, add the chicken breasts. Season the breasts with Morton's Nature Seasoning. Cook just until browned on each side (do not cook all the way through). Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add the tomato sauce, garlic, and fresh basil to the Instant Pot.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pot on top of the sauce.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure valve to sealing.
- Set Instant Pot to high pressure for 10 minutes. When the cook time ends, quick release by turning the pressure valve to venting. Once the pressure is fully released and the pin drops, carefully remove the lid.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on each of the chicken breasts. Then, sprinkle one tablespoon of Parmesan cheese over each breast. Add the remaining basil.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid and keep it on the warm setting for about 5 to 7 minutes to give the cheese time to melt.
- Remove the lid. Plate the chicken breasts with a generous portion of sauce. Top with fresh basil as a garnish if you like. Enjoy!