Easter Oreo Chicks are adorable yellow treats made with store-bought Oreo cookies. This simple Easter cookie will delight children and only takes minutes to make.
BABY CHICKS FOR EASTER
Baby chicks are very popular at Easter time. Personally, I don’t like the concept of giving children live baby chicks in an Easter basket. There are a lot of ethical issues involved with baby chicks at Easter time. It is much simpler to just make some cookies that look like baby chicks and there is a lot less to clean up after!
Luckily, these Easter Oreo Cookies are totally harmless to everything except maybe my waistline, LOL.
These cute Easter cookies work great bagged in individual cellophane bags and tied with ribbons. They can be handed out at school celebrations or church functions.
INGREDIENTS FOR EASTER OREO CHICK COOKIES
What could be better than making adorable treats that only call for a few ingredients? These cute little Easter cookies only require two main ingredients plus the items for the baby chick’s face.
- Double Stuf Oreo Cookies
- Yellow Candy Melts
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Yellow Sparkling Sugar Sprinkles
- Orange and Yellow Mini M&M Candies
HOW TO MAKE EASTER OREO CHICKS
Chicks are always a hit around Easter. Springtime is synonymous with new life and baby chicks abound. Children will enjoy helping you make these baby chick cookies.
STEP ONE: PREPARE BAKING SHEET
Start off by lining a baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper. This will keep the cookies from sticking to the pan later.
STEP TWO: MELT CANDY
Place the yellow candy melts into a microwave-safe bowl and melt according to the package directions.
You want to be able to pour the melted candy. If it is too thick to pour after melting it just add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or vegetable shortening. Stir the oil in well. Do not add water!!
It is okay to add up to 1 tablespoon of oil per bag of candy melts as needed.
STEP TWO: COAT COOKIE
Drop one Oreo cookie into the melted chocolate at a time. Turn it over to coat it completely.
Remove the cookie from the chocolate and tap it gently on the side of the bowl so the excess chocolate can drip off into the bowl.
Lay the coated cookie down on the lined baking sheet.
If there are any air bubbles in the chocolate coating just pop them with a toothpick.
STEP THREE: DECORATE
Go ahead and immediately create the chick face before the candy coating hardens.
Add 2 mini chocolate chips for eyes. One orange mini M&M candy for the nose and 2 yellow mini M&M candies for little wings.
Sprinkle the cookie with the yellow sparkling sugar and allow the cookie to harden.
STEP FOUR: REPEAT
Repeat the above steps to make all the baby chick cookies.
Allow all the cookies to set up at room temperature or place the baking sheet in the refrigerator to cool if you are in a hurry.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
EASTER OREO CHICKS RECIPE
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for these sweet Easter Oreo Chicks via the recipe card below.
Easter Oreo Chicks
- 15.35 ounces Double Stuf Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 2 bags yellow candy melts wafers 12 ounce bags
- Yellow sparkling sugar
- 1 bag Mini chocolate chips
- Orange and yellow Mini M&M candies
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Melt candy coating according to package directions. If the candy is too thick to pour, add 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable shortening. Stir well. Do not add water. You can add up to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil per bag of candy wafers.
- Drop cookie into melted candy and turn to coat completely. Remove cookie from candy with candy dipping scoop, tapping gently against the side of the bowl, allowing excess chocolate to return to the bowl. If air bubbles form, pop them with a toothpick.
- Slide the coated cookie onto the baking sheet. Immediately decorate with sugar sprinkles and candy. Tip: Using a toothpick and/or sterilized tweezers makes placing small candy easier.
- Allow cookie to set completely at room temperature or refrigerate for faster results. Store in an airtight container as room temperature.
If you are looking for more fun ideas for Easter be sure to check these out:
- Easter Bingo
- Fun and Easy Easter Snack Crafts
- Easter Scavenger Hunt
- Easter Pudding Cups
- Easter Egg Hot Cocoa Bombs
Don’t forget to PIN this Easter treat for later!