Last Updated on November 30, 2021 by Corinne Schmitt
This DIY Hot Chocolate Gift with Peppermint Spoons is an easy gift that’s perfect for almost anyone. Who doesn’t love a delicious mug of hot cocoa?
My daughter wanted to make gifts for her friends this year and I suggested she make DIY Hot Chocolate Gift with Peppermint Spoons for each them. We knew her friends would love the gift, the fact that she was making them herself (with a little help from me) added a personal touch, and they’re really cute when they’re all packed up!
If you’re looking for an easy, inexpensive gift that will work for almost anyone, this gift idea is for you!
What You’ll Need
There are two parts to this gift — the homemade cocoa mix and the peppermint spoons. After you’ve made each of them, you’ll put them together to create this adorable gift.
Here’s everything you’ll need for the entire project:
- Dark chocolate baking cocoa
- Powdered milk
- Dark chocolate chips
- Miniature marshmallows
- Plastic bags (3″ x 4″ for cocoa mix and 2″ x 10″ for spoons)
- Melting chocolate
- Peppermint candies or candy canes (crushed)
- Plastic spoons
- Ceramic mugs
- Gift tags
How to Make DIY Hot Chocolate
It’s really easy to make your own hot chocolate. The cocoa mix is a made from a few simple ingredients and then we layer on the fun stuff (chocolate chips and mini marshmallows).
Step 1: Make Homemade Cocoa Mix
First, we need to make the hot chocolate mix. Combine the sugar, baking cocoa, powdered milk, and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
Mix well and add 6 tablespoons of the cocoa mix to each plastic baggie.
If you want to make this gift even easier, you can skip the homemade cocoa mix and just use store-bought. My daughter really wanted her gifts to be “homemade” so we opted for the DIY version.
Step 2: Add Chocolate Chips
Next, add a handful of mini chocolate chips on top of the cocoa mix.
Step 3: Add Marshmallows
Finally, add a handful of mini marshmallows on top of the chocolate chips.
Step 4: Close
Secure the top of the bag with a twist tie to close.
Twist the top of the bag closed. For a male reindeer, use a twist tie to secure the top of the bag.
How to Make Peppermint Spoons
This is the fun part. And, in my opinion, the part that makes this gift extra special.
Step 1: Melt Chocolate
First, follow the directions on the package of your melting chocolate to melt the chocolate.
Step 2: Dip Spoons
Next, dip each spoon into the melted chocolate.
Step 3: Sprinkle with Peppermint Candies
Then, just sprinkle some of the crushed peppermint candy pieces on each spoon.
Step 4: Cool
Set the spoons on a paper plate or on parchment paper to let the chocolate cool and set.
Once the chocolate has set, slide each spoon into a small plastic bag.
Putting It All Together
Now we just need to package up our DIY Hot Chocolate and Peppermint Spoons to turn it into a present.
Place the cocoa mix in the bottom of the cup, then add the spoons.
If you want, print off these gift tags to attach to each mug’s handle:
Simply punch a hole in the corner and tie onto the handle using a piece of ribbon or one of the colored twist ties from the baggies.
That’s it! Your DIY Hot Chocolate Gifts are ready to give to friends, teachers, neighbors, or co-workers.
DIY Hot Chocolate Gift with Peppermint Spoons Recipe
Print off the recipe to keep in your holiday cookbook.
DIY Hot Chocolate Gift with Peppermint Spoons
Cocoa Mix Ingredients:
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup dark chocolate baking cocoa
- ¼ cup powdered milk
- One pinch of salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
Peppermint Spoons Ingredients:
- 1 cup melting chocolate
- ½ cup peppermint candies crushed
- Plastic spoons
Cocoa Mix Instructions:
- Combine sugar, dark chocolate baking cocoa, powdered milk, and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour six tablespoons of the mixture into a plastic bag.
- Top mixture with a handful of dark chocolate chips.
- Top chocolate chips with a handful of marshmallows.
Peppermint Spoons Instructions:
- Melt chocolate according to package instructions.
- Dip each spoon into the melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle pieces of crushed peppermint candy on top.
- Allow the chocolate to cool completely and set before packaging each spoon it a small clear gift bag.
Gift Assembly Instructions:
- Place packaged hot chocolate mix inside mug.
- Place packaged spoons inside mug.
- Cut a piece of decorative cardstock to fit the printable gift tag and glue printable gift tag on top.
- Attach gift tag to the mug’s handle.
More Hot Chocolate Ideas
Hot chocolate is a favorite in my house during the winter so it’s one of my go-to winter and Christmas ideas. Here are some more hot chocolate inspired gifts and recipes.
If you’re gifting young children, you might prefer these Reindeer Hot Chocolate Gift Bags.
Want to kick your hot chocolate up a notch? Try this Mexican Hot Chocolate.