My family eats a lot chicken since it’s a lean way to meet our protein needs. One of the great things about chicken is that it’s so easy to integrate into different recipes due to it’s mild flavor. One day you can grill it and baste it in barbecue sauce, the next day you can make a chicken teriyaki stir-fry and later in the week enjoy chicken enchiladas. Three days of chicken dishes and yet completely different meals.
One of my favorite chicken recipes is an Italian version. Years ago, a friend of mine gave me a recipe she called “Italian Chicken.” It was delicious but involved several steps and dirtying many dishes. I simplified the recipe to get it all into one dish with as few steps as possible. In eliminating some of the extra steps, I also cut the fat and calories so this version is equally tasty but healthier.
- 1 16 oz bag frozen chopped spinach
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 T oregano
- 1 T basil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 T olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cream cheese and spinach in microwave-safe bowl and microwave for one minute on high. Stir well.
- Spray a 9x13" baking dish with nonstick spray. Spread spinach mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay chicken breasts side-by-side on top of spinach mixture. Sprinkle garlic powder over chicken breasts.
- Top each chicken breast with 1-2 slices of tomato. Sprinkle basil, oregano and parmesan over the tomatoes. Drizzle olive oil over the tomatoes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
Latest posts by Corinne Schmitt (see all)
- The Ultimate Horror Movie Calendar to Count Down to Halloween - September 22, 2017
- 5 Things Your Teenage Child Doesn’t Tell You - September 21, 2017
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili - September 20, 2017