If you have a child getting ready to start kindergarten in the fall you have to do a Back to School Book Countdown. I have a printable to make this reading countdown easy for you and kids will love the books you will read together.
WHAT IS A BACK TO SCHOOL BOOK COUNTDOWN?
A back to school book countdown is a fun way to countdown to the first day of school.
This works with any aged child but is extra special for upcoming kindergarteners.
Start the countdown the month before school starts and read a new book off the calendar each day.
This will get a child’s mind active and ready for the new school year.
WHY DO A BOOK COUNTDOWN WITH KINDERGARTENERS?
There can be a lot of anxiety and nervousness for children who are getting ready to start school for the first time.
Kindergarten may be the first time a child is away from home for the whole day. They have a lot of new and unknown experiences coming their way and it can create some anxiety.
This back to school book countdown is focused on getting kids ready for kindergarten by reading books that were picked especially for this transition to school.
Reading these particular books will help address different questions the child may have and can open up different topics for discussion.
WHERE DO I GET ALL THE BOOKS FOR THE COUNTDOWN?
There are several different ways you can get all the books on the countdown calendar.
The first option is to visit your local library. Most libraries will allow you to check out 2 or 3 books at a time.
Check out a few books and then visit the library every few days to stay on track. If your library doesn’t have all the books listed they can do inner-library loans.
Another option is to purchase the books so you have them on hand and can read them over and over at home.
My last suggestion is to ask other parents you know who have young children. You could do a book swap!
WHAT BOOKS ARE INCLUDED IN THE COUNTDOWN?
There are 29 books in this kindergarten book countdown. Here are all the books included:
- The Book With No Pictures by BJ Novak
- If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff
- Dear Teacher by Amy Husband
- This School Year Will Be the Best by Kay Winters
- The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi
- First Day Jitters by Julie Dannenberg
- You’re Finally Here by Melanie Watt
- We Don’t Eat Our Classmates by Ryan T. Higgins
- The Exceptionally, Extraordinarily, Ordinary First Day of School by Albert Lorenz
- Back to School Splat by Rob Scottson
- How to Get Your Teacher Ready by Jean Reagan
- If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don’t by Elise Parsley
- Back to School Rules by Laurie B. Freedman
- David Goes to School by David Shannon
- A Place Called Kindergarten by Jessica Harper
- Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten by Audrey Vernick
- School’s First Day of School by Adam Rex
- The Teacher’s Pet by Anica Mrose Risi
- Lailah’s Lunchbox by Reem Farqui
- Ally-Saurus and the First Day of School by Richard Torrey
- My Teacher is a Monster by Peter Brown
- Lily’s Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
- The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson
- The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
- A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
- Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney
- I Like Myself by Karen Beaumont
- First Grade Stinks by Maryann Rodman
- Miss Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard
PRINTABLE BACK TO SCHOOL BOOK COUNTDOWN CALENDAR
You can download and print off this fun book calendar for your own personal use at home.
Click this link or the image below to download: Back to School Book Countdown
If you loved this reading printable be sure to check these out:
- Printable Reading Kit for Kids
- Summer Reading Challenge
- Free Printable Reading Log for Kids
- Summer Reading Bucket List
Be sure to PIN this for later!