These Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies are packed with flavor and so delicious! And the best part is that they only take a few minutes to cook in the air fryer.
If you love easy air fryer apple recipes, then this is the recipe for you. They’re easy to make and taste delicious, plus they’re a fun alternative to traditional apple pie.
- Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies
- Why I Love This Recipe
- Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
- How to Make Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies
- Variations / Options / Add-Ins
- Toppings Suggestions
- More Delicious Apple Recipes
- Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies Recipe
- Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies
Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies
Hand pies have been around for centuries, and there are many different variations of them. They can be made with a variety of different fillings, including sweet and savory options, but I have to say that apple hand pies are my favorite.
Apples are full of nutrients like Vitamin C and antioxidants, and they’re also a good source of dietary fiber. So not only are these hand pies delicious, but they’re also good for you.
Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe is one of my favorites because it’s simple to make and tastes delicious. Air fryer desserts are always popular in my house.
- Ready in under an hour
- Easy to make
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love apple desserts, you may also enjoy this Apple Fritters recipe.
All of the ingredients for this recipe are easy to find at your local grocery store, and you may have most of them in your kitchen already.
- store bought pie crusts
- flour for dusting
- caramel apple pie filling
Pie Crust: Instead of store bought pie crust, you can use homemade instead.
Pie Filling: If you can’t find caramel apple pie filling, you can use regular apple pie filling and add caramel sauce.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this air fryer dessert. You will be so glad that you made this recipe.
How to Make Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies
This easy air fryer dessert comes together in just a few simple steps, and they’re well worth the effort. The end result is a delicious hand pie recipe that’s packed with flavor.
Step 1: Roll out the pie crust
On a floured surface, roll out pie crust and using a rolling pin, flatten pie crust to 1/8” thick.
Step 2: Use a cookie cutter to cut out the pie crust
Using a circular cookie cutter, cut out the circles for the pies.
Step 3: Fill the pies
Depending on the size of crust put 1-2 apple slices on the crust.
Step 4: Make the egg wash
In a small bowl, whisk the egg until it is beaten.
Step 5: Coat the edges of the crust in the egg wash
Using you finger or a brush, coat the edge of the crust with the egg wash.
Step 6: Close the hand pies
Close the hand pie forming around the apple slice and use a fork to compress the edge of the pie.
Step 7: Vent the pies
Puncture vent holes on top and wash the whole pie in egg wash.
Step 8: Air fry the hand pies
Place the pies in the air fryer basket and cook at 330 for 6 minutes, flip and cook for 3 more minutes.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
This is a basic recipe for air fryer caramel apple hand pies, but there are many variations that you can try. Here are a few of my favorite swaps for this recipe.
Fruit: You can use any type of fruit in this recipe, just make sure that it is thinly sliced so that it cooks through.
Crunch: If you want a crunchier texture in your pies, you can add 1/4 cup of chopped nuts to the filling.
Flavor: You can also add in 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or nutmeg to the filling for extra flavor.
Once the hand pies are cooked, you can top them with a variety of different toppings. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Caramel: Top the hand pies with a drizzle of caramel sauce for a delicious and decadent topping.
- Ice Cream: Serve the hand pies with a scoop of ice cream for a sweet and creamy dessert.
- Cinnamon Sugar: Sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar over the top of the hand pies before serving.
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect hand pies.
- If you are not using canned pie filling, make sure that the apple slices are thinly sliced so that they cook through in the oven.
- When closing the hand pies, be sure to crimp and compress the edges with a fork to prevent them from opening up during cooking.
- Puncture vent holes in the top of the hand pies to allow for steam to escape.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. If you have too many pies, cook them in batches.
- If the edges of your pies are browning too quickly, cover them with foil or a pie crust shield to prevent them from burning.
- For easy clean up, spray your air fryer basket with non stick cooking spray.
Do you have questions about Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
You can store the hand pies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can reheat the hand pies in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes at 330 degrees until they are warm and crispy again.
Yes, you can freeze the hand pies for up to 2 months.
More Delicious Apple Recipes
If you like apples, give these recipes a try:
Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies
- Rolling Pin
- Cookie cutter
- Small bowl
- Air Fryer
- 2 store bought pie crusts
- 1/4 cup flour for dusting
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups caramel apple pie filling
- On a floured surface, roll out pie crust and using a rolling pin, flatten pie crust to 1/8” thick.
- Using a circular cookie cutter, cut out the circles for the pies.
- Depending on the size of crust put 1-2 apple slices on the crust.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg until it is beaten. Using you finger or a brush, coat the edge of the crust with the egg wash. Close the hand pie forming around the apple slice and use a fork to compress the edge of the pie.
- Puncture vent holes on top and wash the whole pie in egg wash.
- Place the pies in the air fryer basket and cook at 330 for 6 minutes, flip and cook for 3 more minutes.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!