Last Updated on April 5, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
Activated Charcoal Soap is a wonderful beauty care item and making your own is very easy to do. This easy DIY charcoal soap tutorial will keep you stocked up and your skin will be looking great too.
WHAT IS ACTIVATED CHARCOAL SOAP
I didn’t know about activated charcoal soap for a long time. A friend mentioned it to me and when she told me about the benefits I knew it was something that I wanted to try out.
Activated charcoal has been added to beauty products for a long time. Charcoal has been known for its ability to absorb and draw out oil from the skin for many years.
Activated charcoal is actually a fine, odorless black powder. This is not the same thing you find in charcoal bricks. 🙂 Making activated charcoal involves heating carbon-rich materials to very high temperatures. Wood, peat and sawdust are all carbon-rich and are commonly used in this process.
Emergency rooms have been using activated charcoal for years and years to help with drug overdoses.
Somehow the process of heating these carbon-rich materials leaves you with this charcoal powder that is super absorbent and works great for many things!
SUPPLIES FOR ACTIVATED CHARCOAL SOAP
This soap is full of wonderful ingredients and essential oils and the smell is fantastic. These ingredients are so soothing to the skin.
- Goats Milk Soap Base
- Coconut Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Activated Charcoal Powder
- Lavender Essential Oil (Lavender calms the skin, reduces skin irritations and can help with acne and eczema.)
- Rosemary Essential Oil (This oil has great anti-aging benefits, is also known for helping diminish acne and can help fight damage from the dun. It is also a wonderful anti-inflammatory agent.)
- Peppermint Essential Oil (This oil has been known to have antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. It can also help keep your skin cool and lower skin irritation.)
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Mold Tray
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN ACTIVATED CHARCOAL SOAP
Once you get the hang of making your own beauty products at home you will be hooked on it! It is actually fun to do and the results are fantastic.
STEP ONE: MELT GOATS MILK
Start off by placing the goat’s milk soap base in the microwave and melt it in 30-second increments until it is completely melted.
STEP TWO: ADD OILS
Now add the coconut oil and the jojoba oil to the melted goat’s milk soap base.
STEP THREE: ADD ESSENTIAL OILS
It is time to add in the drops of lavender, rosemary, and peppermint essential oils to the bowl.
Whisk the ingredients together so they are well blended.
STEP FOUR: ADD CHARCOAL POWDER
Now you have a decision to make! You can make these like I did in the pictures so they are black and white or you can make them all black.
If you make them black and white you need to divide the mixture evenly between two bowls. Add the activated charcoal powder into one bowl and mix it up well.
If you want to make them all black then leave the mixture in the bowl and add the charcoal powder to the mixture and mix well.
STEP FIVE: POUR INTO MOLD
Take your mold and spray it with rubbing alcohol.
If you are doing the white/black version for the soaps go ahead and pour the white soap mix into the mold filling each cup halfway. Allow the white layer to harden for at least 2 hours and then add the black portion to the top of the mold.
The all-black soaps require you to just pour the mixture into the mold filling each cup completely.
STEP SIX: SET UP
Allow the soaps to completely set up before popping them out of the mold.
ACTIVATED CHARCOAL SOAP RECIPE
Be sure to print off the complete supplies and instructions via the card below so you can keep making these again and again!
Activated Charcoal Soap
- 1-2 pounds goats milk soap base
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 1-2 tablespoons activated charcoal powder
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 Spray bottle of rubbing alcohol
- 1 Mold
- Place goats milk soap base in microwave and melt in for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until completely melted.
- Add coconut and jojoba oil
- Add the lavender, Rosemary and peppermint essential oils. Whisk the ingredients together well.
- If you want to make the black and white soaps, separate the soap mixture evenly between two bowls. Add activated charcoal powder to one bowl and mix well. If you are making just the black soap, you won’t divide the mixture and add the activated charcoal to the original bowl.
- Spray mold with rubbing alcohol and add the white soap mixture to the halfway point. If you are making solid black, you will just add the black mixture all the way to the top of the mold.
- If making layered soaps, allow the first layer to harden for at least two hours. Add the remaining mixture to the top of the mold.
This activated charcoal soap is great for dry skin. It moisturizes and nourishes all skin types and is a great part of a daily skin care routine.
If you love homemade beauty products be sure to check these other DIY posts out:
- Homemade Beauty Products Using Rosemary Essential Oil
- DIY Makeup Wipes
- Homemade Rosemary Mint Shampoo
- Natural Homemade Bubble Bath
Don’t forget to PIN this for later!