These Pumpkin Cake Doughnuts are an easy and delicious fall breakfast or snack! Made with a cake mix, they are super simple to make and then topped with a sweet cream cheese glaze for a tasty fall treat.
If you love pumpkin breakfast recipes then these cake donuts are just the recipe for you. The best part of making these is that they are baked and not fried, which means less guilt when you enjoy one!
Pumpkin Cake Doughnuts
I love fall and all things pumpkin. One of the reasons that I enjoy pumpkin is because it is so versatile. You can use it to make sweet recipes like pumpkin cake doughnuts or savory recipes like my Pumpkin Soup.
Pumpkin is also full of nutrients such as Vitamin A, potassium, and fiber. So not only are these cake doughnuts delicious, but they are actually good for you!
Why I Love This Recipe
The perfect breakfast for any time of year, these Pumpkin Cake Doughnuts are so easy to make and will have your mouth watering the minute you take them out of the oven. A delicious fall snack that’s great on its own but also pairs well with some morning coffee!
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Easy to make
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love donuts then give this Cinnamon Donut Holes with Cream Cheese Filling a try next time!
You only need a few simple ingredients to help you make these sweet pumpkin doughnuts. After one quick trip to the grocery store, you will have all the items that you need to make these donuts.
- white cake mix
- pumpkin pie spice
- pumpkin puree
- cream cheese frosting
- pumpkin pie spice
Glaze: Instead of using cream cheese frosting, you can use a simple glaze with powdered sugar and milk instead.
Cake Mix: If you don’t have white cake mix, you can use yellow or even spice cake mix instead.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this tasty recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this fall breakfast recipe.
How to Make Pumpkin Cake Doughnuts
Making this pumpkin doughnut is simple. Follow the instructions below and you will have a sweet breakfast or snack recipe that even the kids will enjoy.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare pans
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease two donut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Whisk together the dry ingredients
Whisk together the cake mix and pumpkin pie spice until combined.
Step 3: Stir in the pumpkin puree
Add the pumpkin puree and stir until the ingredients are well combined.
Step 4: Add the batter to a gallon size bag
Transfer the batter to a gallon size bag and cut the corner off one end. Pipe the mixture into your donut pans.
Step 5: Bake the donuts
Bake the donuts for 8 to 10 minutes, until the donut springs back when pressed with your finger.
Step 6: Cool the doughnuts
Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for five minutes, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Step 7: Make the glaze
When the donuts are cool, prepare the glaze by heating the icing in the microwave in 15 second intervals until melted. Add the pumpkin pie spice and whisk to combine.
Step 8: Dip the donut in the glaze
Dip each donut in the glaze and return it to the wire rack to cool.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
There are a few ways to change up this recipe. Here are a few of my favorite swaps for this dish.
Nuts: While the glaze is still wet, top them with some chopped nuts. I love using pecans or walnuts.
Chocolate: Add some chocolate chips to the batter before baking for a delicious twist on this recipe.
Dried Fruit: Another great way to top these donuts is with some dried fruit. I love using cranberries or raisins.
Here are a few tips to help make sure that these donuts turn out well.
- You can use a piping bag instead of a storage bag if you have one on hand.
- Be sure to not overfill the donut pan. These doughnuts will puff up as they bake.
- I suggest using baking spray or greasing and flouring the pan so that your donuts turn out well.
- Be careful to not overmix these cookies, as overmixing will cause them to become tough.
- You can add a little flavor to these donuts by adding a dash of nutmeg, ginger, or vanilla extract to the donut batter.
- Instead of a glaze for the donuts, you can brush them with melted butter and then dip them in a cinnamon sugar mixture.
Do you have questions about this pumpkin cake donuts recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this recipe.
These doughnuts are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last for 2-3 days.
Yes, you can freeze these doughnuts for up to 3 months. Be sure to place them in a freezer safe bag or container before freezing.
You can make these without a donut pan by using a mini muffin tin. Grease the tin with cooking spray and fill each cup about 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until they are golden brown and spring back when pressed with your finger.
More Donut Recipes
If you like doughnuts, give these recipes a try:
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Pumpkin Cake Doughnuts from Cake Mix
- measuring cup and spoon
- doughnut pan
- Large mixing bowl
- gallon size Ziplock bag
- 15.25 ounces white cake mix
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 16 ounces cream cheese frosting
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease two donut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the cake mix and pumpkin pie spice until combined.
- Add the pumpkin puree and stir until the ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer the batter to a gallon size bag and cut the corner off one end. Pipe the mixture into your donut pans.
- Bake the donuts for 8 to 10 minutes, until the donut springs back when pressed with your finger.
- Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for five minutes, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- When the donuts are cool, prepare the glaze by heating the icing in the microwave in 15 second intervals until melted. Add the pumpkin pie spice and whisk to combine.
- Dip each donut in the glaze and return it to the wire rack to cool.