My kids love this Instant Pot Taco Lasagna because it’s the marriage of 2 of their favorite foods – tacos and lasagna! It has all the yummy flavor of a taco in lasagna layers.
I prefer to eat at home as a family since our family dinner conversations are the highlight of my day. But the hour right before dinner is also the busiest in our house! That’s why all of my dinner recipes are quick and easy.
Tacos are always a hit in my house so they’re on our weekly menu. Even for a family of taco lovers, eating it every week can get boring! So, I play with variations like these Chicken Taco Bowls, these Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos and the Instant Pot Taco Lasagna I’m sharing today.
Like many of my other dinners, I made this in my Instant Pot because I prefer to spend the time before dinner doing other things rather than standing at the stove.
How to Make Instant Pot Taco Lasagna
Before we get to step one, let me explain something about this dish. I cook for my family, so I don’t care what the dish looks like before serving it. As long as what lands on the plate is something my kids will eat, I’m satisfied.
Also, I don’t like extra work. So I try to keep the steps and dirty dishes to a minimum. That is why I DON’T use a springform pan for my Instant Pot Taco Lasagna. If you want yours to look pretty before you cut it up and serve it, use a 7″ springform pan.
Step 1 – Prepare the Taco Meat
You can saute the ground beef in the Instant Pot, but for this recipe I actually use a separate skillet. If you cook it in the pot, you have to remove it and clean the pot out before layering the other ingredients.
After you’ve cooked the meat, drain off the fat. Then you’ll add the taco seasoning, tomatoes and black beans and cook for a few more minutes.
Step 2 – Layer the Ingredients in the Instant Pot
Now it’s time to start layering our lasagna. First, spread refried beans on a tortilla and then carefully set it in the bottom of the Instant Pot (the bean side should be facing up).
Next, add about a cup of the taco meat mixture.
Then, top the meat with a layer of cheese.
Repeat the layers.
For the final layer, top the cheese with a flour tortilla then add a generous handful of cheese on top of that.
Step 3 – Cook for 5 Minutes
Now you just need to secure the Instant Pot lid and cook on manual pressure for 5 minutes. You can natural release, but the texture and consistency is better if you quick release.
To serve, top with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped cilantro.
Instant Pot Taco Lasagna Recipe
Ready to make it? Here’s the complete recipe with measurements:
Instant Pot Taco Lasagna
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1-10 oz jar tomatoes
- 1-10 oz jar black beans drained
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 4-5 Tortillas
- 1-10 oz can refried beans
- 3 cups cheddar cheese plus additional for serving
- Sour cream optional garnish
- Cilantro optional garnish
- You can either cook your ground beef in the Instant Pot or a skillet - if cooking in the Instant Pot, you may want to clean it in between cooking the meat and and making the taco casserole. However, the IP gets hot so I prefer to cook the meat in a skillet and just do the taco casserole in the Instant Pot. (This is also great for prep-ahead days.)
- To make the taco meat, add the ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir and break up the ground beef while cooking for 3-5 minutes, until fully browned.
- Drain off any excess fat and then add in the taco seasoning, tomatoes and black beans. Stir together and allow to cook for 3 additional minutes.
- To avoid a "BURN" error, add 1 cup of water to the inner liner and then place the trivet that came with your pot in the bottom of the pan before layering the ingredients.
- For the taco casserole, spread 3 Tablespoons or so of refried bean paste onto a tortilla and place it bean side-up in the Instant Pot.
- Top with 1 cup of the ground beef mixture, then 1 cup of cheese. Repeat for 1-2 additional layers and then add a generous handful of cheese on top of a final tortilla.
- Place the lid on your IP and seal. Cook for 5 minutes on Manual pressure - you can natural or quick release but natural release may dry out the cheese slightly.
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you liked this recipe, you might like my other Instant Pot Taco Varieties:
More Instant Pot Resources
Do more with your Instant Pot with these helpful Instant Pot Accessories: