This Instant Pot Chicken and Pea Risotto is basically a hug in a bowl. There’s something about this warm, creamy dish that makes it the perfect comfort food. If you’re looking for an Instant Pot chicken recipe that will bring a satisfied smile to your face.
This Instant Pot Chicken and Pea Risotto has simple ingredients and flavors so even picky eaters love it too. My veggie-hating child loves when I make this since it’s one of the rare times I count peas as a vegetable serving.
This is the perfect dinner for nights after you’ve had a rough day, need a hug, and don’t want to hear any complaints about dinner.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Pea Risotto
As a general rule, my dinner recipes are very easy and require minimal steps. Sometimes a little extra effort nets you big flavor rewards though and this recipe is one of those times. I love a dump meal as much as the next person and you can make this dish that way.
Like my other recipes, there are no rare or expensive ingredients in this dish. For Instant Pot Chicken and Pea Risotto, you just need these simple ingredients:
Step 1 – Prepare the Chicken
First, you’ll hammer the chicken to 3/4 inch thick. Then, season both sides with thyme, basil, and salt.
Next, you need to brown the chicken in butter. It should only take about one minute per side. Then, remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
Step 2 – Sauté the Rice
The key to a good risotto is to sauté it before cooking it to draw out the starches and enrich the flavor. So, after you’ve browned the chicken, remove it and add more butter to your Instant Pot.
Add some diced white onion and sauté it, stirring frequently, until it is translucent. Then, add minced garlic and continue cooking for another 30 seconds.
Now it’s time to add the rice. Make sure you use arborio rice since this is the short-grained, high starch rice that will provide you with a creamy risotto.
Stir the rice constantly with a wooden spoon until the edges of the grains start to turn translucent.
Step 3 – Add the Liquid and Chicken
You’ll need some liquid to bring the pot to pressure and to cook the rice. Pour in the chicken broth and scrape down the sides to make sure all of the ingredients are below the liquid.
Next, lay the chicken on top of the broth and secure the lid.
Step 4 – Cook and Finish
You’ll cook on manual for 5 minutes then do a quick release so the rice doesn’t overcook and become too glutinous. Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board.
Stir in the peas and cheese. You can turn on the sauté function again if the dish is too runny for your taste.
While you wait for the cheese to melt, dice the chicken then return to the pot to stir in with the rice.
Your Instant Pot Chicken and Pea Risotto is ready to serve!
Instant Pot Chicken and Pea Risotto Recipe
Here’s the recipe card with the exact measurements.
Instant Pot Chicken and Pea Risotto
- 2 Tablespoons Butter divide into 1 T Portions
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Cup White Onion about ½ med onion, Diced
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas Thawed
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Set Instant Pot to sauté for 10 minutes and allow to preheat.
- Hammer chicken to ¾ inch thickness with a meat mallet and season both sides with thyme, basil, and salt.
- Place 1 Tablespoon Butter in Pot and add chicken. Cook on each side until browned, or about 1 minute on each side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Melt another tablespoon of butter in Pot and add onion. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to turn translucent, around 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add rice and sauté until edges begin to turn translucent (center will still be white).
- Pour chicken broth over the rice, onion and garlic, and scrape down the sides of the pot to ensure no food is above the liquid level. Stir pot and set chicken on top of liquid before sealing the lid.
- Cook for 5 minutes on manual setting, then manually release steam.
- Carefully remove lid and set aside the chicken breast.
- Stir in peas and cheese. At this point, if your risotto is too liquid for your tastes, you can continue to cook on sauté until it is fully absorbed.
- Add diced chicken to pot, and serve risotto immediately.
More Dinner Recipes
If you liked this recipe, you might enjoy some of my other recipes. Click the links below to see some of my recipe collections:
More Instant Pot Resources
Do more with your Instant Pot with these helpful Instant Pot Accessories: