I just love sweet and sour flavors together like the apple cider and maple syrup in these Instant Pot Apple Maple Chicken Legs. This dish is an example of how diverse Instant Pot chicken recipes can be!
I’m a fall fanatic. It’s my favorite season so I go a little crazy over all things autumn-related.
Among the things I love most about fall are fall flavors. I’ve paired two of my favorite fall flavors – apple and maple – to create a new Instant Pot recipe that was an immediate hit with my family.
You’ll notice I used chicken legs in this recipe instead of my normal go-to protein (boneless, skinless chicken breasts). Nutritionally, both are pretty close but most people opt for breasts because of the lower fat content.
That extra fat in chicken legs is what gives them the amazing flavor and moistness you’ll miss in boneless, skinless breasts. Plus, the additional fat in chicken legs is monounsaturated fat, which is the good fat that helps control weight and cholesterol.
Finally, with teenage boys in the house, chicken legs are simply a more affordable protein source. Better taste, moister meat, and lower grocery budget – these are all the reasons I’m experimenting with more chicken thigh recipes. And I didn’t regret that choice for a single minute with these Instant Pot Apple Maple Chicken Legs.
How to Make Instant Pot Apple Maple Chicken Legs
Seriously, just typing the name of this recipe makes me drool. The flavors in this dish are so delicious!
Step 1 – Sauté the Chicken Legs
First, set your Instant Pot to sauté, add a tablespoon of oil and let it heat up. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken legs and brown them on each side.
Step 2 – Prepare Sauce
Combine apple cider (or a substitute for apple cider), dijon mustard, yellow mustard, maple syrup and tomato paste, ketchup or BBQ sauce in a small saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, whisking the ingredients together, for about two minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken legs in the Instant Pot.
Step 4 – Pressure Cook
Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, select “Meat/Stew” and set the time for 5 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally, then remove the lid and serve!
Ready to make this Instant Pot Apple Maple Chicken Legs? Here’s the recipe card with the exact measurements.
Instant Pot Apple Maple Chicken Legs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (can use 1 teaspoon mustard powder plus 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, ketchup or BBQ sauce
- 6 chicken legs
- Place olive oil in IP and select the saute setting.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken legs and brown on each side, about 1 minute per side.
- Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat and whisk together. Cook for 2 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Pour the homemade apple maple sauce over the chicken legs and turn off the saute setting.
- Secure the IP lid and select “meat/stew” for 5 minutes.
- Natural release and serve hot.