Loyal readers know that I am entrenched in a friendly game of recipe tag with Susan at Organized 31. For the past month we have been going back and forth with new cookie recipes. We decided to move on to brownies and Susan’s first batch was a healthy makeover of packaged brownie mix. So, in response, I’m doctoring my own box of brownie mix and pairing it with one of my favorite brownie accompaniments—peanut butter.
I know, these brownies look ridiculously indulgent. My original, non-healthy, recipe is indeed decadent. However, with a few tweaks, this version has almost half the calories, 1/3 the fat, and less than half the sugar. The healthy version also boasts 4 grams of protein per brownie, and more calcium and fiber than the decadent version.
The secret to “healthifying” the brownies is to substitute egg whites for the eggs and avocado for the oil. I replaced the peanut butter frosting that I usually make with butter, powdered sugar, and peanut butter with a lighter, fluffier version made from Fiber One 90 Calorie Instant Pudding (lower calories, more fiber and more protein than regular pudding mix), Cool Whip, and Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter.
- 1 box Betty Crocker brownie mix
- ¼ cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 (1.1 oz) pkgs Fiber One Instant Vanilla Pudding mix
- ½ cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup Cool Whip Lite
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray bottom of 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine brownie mix, water, egg whites, and avocado. Stir until mixed well. Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 24-26 minutes at 350°. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In large bowl, mix milk and pudding mix until well blended. Add peanut butter and mix well. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread pudding mixture on top of brownies. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top of frosting layer.
- Cut into squares. Store in refrigerator.
Latest posts by Corinne Schmitt (see all)
- The Ultimate Horror Movie Calendar to Count Down to Halloween - September 22, 2017
- 5 Things Your Teenage Child Doesn’t Tell You - September 21, 2017
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili - September 20, 2017