Last Updated on March 30, 2023 by Corinne Schmitt
Funfetti Cookies are a perfect fun and festive treat to make with your kids this weekend. Not only are these cookies super easy to make but they are also perfectly soft and chewy.
Ditch those boxed cake mixes and try this scratch-made soft cookie recipe that’s sure to be a favorite with adults and kids alike!
Homemade Funfetti Cookies
The history of funfetti is murky, but it looks like the first printed instance of funfetti was in 1989 by Pillsbury. Since then, other baking companies have jumped on the funfetti bandwagon, selling frosting and sprinkles that emulate the same effect.
Why I Love This Recipe
Not only are Funfetti Cookies super easy to make, but these tasty treats also have the added bonus of being soft in texture!
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Easy to make
- Fun to make
- Always a hit at parties
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love sweet and chewy cookie recipes like this one give these Strawberry Lemonade Cookies a try.
This recipe only requires eight basic ingredients. You may already have all of these ingredients on hand saving you a trip to a grocery store.
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- egg, room temperature
- butter, softened
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- Pinch salt
- nonpareil sprinkles, multicolored
Applesauce: Out of eggs right now? Use 1/4 cup of applesauce instead.
Shortening: Forgot to buy butter? Use shortening in place of the butter in this recipe.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need three kitchen tools to help you make these easy and homemade Funfetti cookies.
- cookie sheets
- mixing bowls
How to Make Funfetti Cookies
Making these cookies is so easy, all you need to do is follow these seven simple steps and you will be ready to enjoy this sweet dessert.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare your cookie sheets
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Step 2: Cream together butter and sugar
In a large bowl, cream together both sugars and egg. Add butter and vanilla extract and mix until all ingredients are well-combined.
Step 3: Add in dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix until cookie dough forms.
Step 4: Add in the sprinkles
Set aside 2 tablespoons of sprinkles in a separate bowl. Fold the remaining nonpareil sprinkles in the cookie dough.
Step 5: Shape the cookie dough
Roll out 1 ¼ inch balls out of the cookie dough. Place each one gently on the lined cookie sheets, about 1 ½ inch apart from each other.
Step 6: Roll in sprinkles
Dip the surface of each cookie dough ball into the nonpareils that were set aside earlier.
Step 7: Bake the cookies
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on a rack before serving and enjoy!
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Almond Extract: Add 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to your wet ingredients for an added flavor.
Cream Cheese: Mix in 1/4 cup of softened cream cheese with your butter and sugar to make your cookies extra rich.
Sprinkles: Use Jimmie style sprinkles instead of nonpareil sprinkles for softer cookies.
Want to use something other than sprinkles in your cookies? Here’s a list of my favorite add-ins.
- chopped candy bars
- chocolate chips
- colored chips
Do you have questions about Funfetti Cookies? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Yes, you can freeze Funfetti Cookies. Funfetti cookies will last up to six months if frozen and around one week without being frozen.
Cookies will start out as a ball shape but will flatten as they bake. Keep in mind though that this cookie recipe will not spread out far but they will slightly spread.
Yes, you can double this recipe. However, there is a chance that your cookie sheets will not hold all of the dough. If that is the case bake your cookies in batches.
More Cookie Recipes
If you like cookie recipes, give these recipes a try:
- Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
- Green Cake Mix Cookies
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookies
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies With Frosting
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
- cookie sheets
- Mixing Bowls
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- ½ stick butter softened (about ¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup nonpareil sprinkles multicolored – divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together both sugars and egg.
- Add butter and vanilla extract and mix until all ingredients are well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix until cookie dough forms.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of sprinkles in a separate bowl.
- Fold the remaining nonpareil sprinkles in the cookie dough.
- Roll out 1 ¼ inch balls out of the cookie dough. Place each one gently on the lined cookie sheets, about 1 ½ inches apart from each other.
- Dip the surface of each cookie dough ball into the nonpareils that were set aside earlier.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Allow to cool on a rack before serving and enjoy!
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!