A DIY wire flower bookmark is a quick and easy project to make and kids will LOVE helping! Once you get the hang of making wire bookmarks you won’t be able to stop yourself from making extras to give away to friends who love to read.
WHAT IS A WIRE BOOKMARK?
Wire bookmarks are kind of like a “fancy” paperclip for books. They hold your place in the book with some pizazz.
You are using a flexible piece of wire and creating a design that will hold your page and also look adorable.
WHAT KIND OF WIRE DO I USE?
There are lots of different types and styles of wire available.
A project like this DIY wire flower bookmark requires a crafting wire.
Wire has a measurement called a gauge. The gauge of a wire refers to its diameter.
This project calls for a 16 or 18 gauge wire.
You can find craft wire in basically any craft store and even most big box stores will carry it too.
SUPPLIES FOR A WIRE FLOWER BOOKMARK
The great thing about making wire bookmarks is the supply list is TINY! You can make a lot of bookmarks out of one package of craft wire.
- Craft Wire 16 or 18 gauage
- Printable Template
TOOLS NEEDED FOR A WIRE BOOKMARK
The same tools will be needed for almost any wire bookmark you will make. These are good tools to keep on hand around the house too.
- Looping Pliers
- Cutting Pliers
- Flat Nose Pliers
HOW TO MAKE A DIY WIRE FLOWER BOOKMARK
I am going to walk you through each and every step of the process for making these adorable DIY wire flower bookmarks. After you get one done you should be able to make more very quickly!
STEP ONE: PRINT TEMPLATE
The first step is to download and print off the flower template I am providing. This will make the whole process very easy.
Click this link to print off the template: Wire Flower Bookmark Template
STEP TWO: CREATE A LOOP
Start from the center part of the flower template you printed off. Create a loop at the open end of the wire. Then circle the wire around the loop twice to create a twirl pattern.
STEP THREE: SCALLOPED LINE
Using the wider part of the looping pliers we will create a scalloped line. Use the looping pliers to create the curve and the flat nose pliers to tighten the joint between every 2 scalloped curves.
STEP FOUR: 5 SCALLOPS
The flower will have 5 flower petals so we need to have 5 scalloped curves to represent those petals.
Continue using the pliers to make 5 curves.
STEP FIVE: WIND
Now we want to wind the scalloped line of wire around the center twirl to begin forming our flower.
STEP SIX: LINE UP TEMPLATE
Draw the wire’s open end towards the bottom side of the flower pattern and place the wire pattern on the printed template to trace the next bend. Use the flat nose pliers to bend the wire along the stem part of the template.
At this point, the template really helps you see areas that need to be shaped a little differently.
STEP SEVEN: STEM
Decide on the length of stem you want and then bend the wire upwards so we can get ready to make the leaf.
STEP EIGHT: FORM LEAF
Form the leaf shape with the wire that is coming up. Then draw the wire back to the bottom side of the stem.
STEP NINE: FINISH LEAF
Bend the current wire along the middle line of the wire leaf shape and cut off extra wire as needed.
Now just find a good book and start reading. When you are done you can use your new DIY wire flower bookmark to hold your page!
DIY WIRE FLOWER BOOKMARK PRINTABLE DIRECTIONS
You can print off these easy directions to refer to later by clicking the card below.
DIY Wire Flower Bookmark
- Craft wire 16 or 18 gauge 16 or 18 gauge
- Printable Template
- Craft pliers looping, cutting and flat nose pliers
- Let’s start from the center twirl part of the flower template. Create a loop at the open end of the wire and circle the wire around the loop twice to create a twirl pattern.how to make a wire bookmark
- Now use the wider part of the looping piers to create scalloped line. Use the looping pliers to create the curve and the flat nose pliers to tighten the joint between every 2 scalloped curves.how to make a wire flower bookmark
- We will need to create 5 scalloped curves for the flower; these are the petals of the wire flower.how to make an easy flower bookmark with wire
- Now, wind the scalloped line (of wire) around the center twirl.steps for making a wire flower bookmark
- Draw the wire’s open end towards the bottom side of the flower pattern and place the wire pattern on the printed template to trace the next bend. Use the flat nose pliers to bend the wire along the stem part of the template.instructions for a wire bookmark
- Keep the length of the stem and then bend the wire upwards.how to create a flower out of wire
- Form the leaf shape with the current wire and drawing the wire back to the bottom side of the stem.how to make a flower bookmark out of wire
- Bend the current wire along the middle line of the wire leaf shape and cut off extra wire where required.
If you love to read be sure to check out these awesome ideas:
- 30 Day Reading Challenge
- Printable Reading Kit for Kids
- Free Printable Reading Log for Kids
- Summer Reading Bucket List
- 50 Great Book Club Questions for a Meaningful Discussion
Be sure to PIN this for later!