Starting with Memorial Day weekend and continuing all the way through Labor Day weekend, summer is a season of cookouts and picnics. I love getting together with friends and family, especially when we share the responsibility of preparing the food. I’ve discovered some of my favorite recipes at these potluck events since we all tend to bring our cherished family favorites to share with one another.
Apple Coleslaw Salad
At a cookout years ago, I remember a friend bringing what she called “Apple Slaw.” Unfortunately, I didn’t get the recipe from her at the time, but I think I’ve come pretty close after a couple of experiments. This cacophony of sweet and sour, crisp and creamy deliciousness is a flavorful twist on a picnic standard. I call it Apple Coleslaw Salad.
Some Tips About Making Apple Coleslaw Salad
Don’t be put off by the strange list of ingredients. I know they don’t seem like they should all be combined together, but I promise the result is better than what you’d expect.
Also, your apples should be julienned, but I cut mine to look like french fries to entice the children to eat it (I do whatever I can to get my kids to eat vegetables without complaining!).
If you prefer to make your own coleslaw mix, you can substitute one medium cabbage (finely shredded) and two carrots (peeled and julienned) for the packaged coleslaw.
Apple Coleslaw Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pkg coleslaw mix
- 4 Fuji apples peeled, cored, and julienned
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, mayonnaise, poppy seeds, honey, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix and apples.
- Pour the prepared dressing over the coleslaw mix and apples. Toss until well blended.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour (can be made the day before and refrigerated overnight). Toss well before serving.
Other Side Dish Options For A Picnic
Do you have more than one picnic to attend this summer? If you don’t want to bring the same side dish every time, here are some other great options from a few of my friends.