If you love the flavor of onions these French Onion Pork Chops will become a new favorite meal. A simple stovetop dinner recipe that is all made in one skillet makes clean up a breeze.
WHAT KIND OF PORK CHOPS SHOULD I USE?
Pork chops come in many different cuts. Some pork chops are easy to cook quickly and others require more work or they will be tough and not as tasty.
Pork chops come from the loin of a pig, but it includes four sections: the shoulder or blade chops, rib chops, loin chops, and sirloin chops.
This recipe works really well with a boneless pork loin chop. Getting a lean boneless pork chop will make eating this meal easier!
Since these French Onion Pork Chops are smothered you don’t want to have to try to work around a bone!
Remember when cooking pork that the USDA says to cook the chops between 145 and 160°F. Pork is meat you never want to serve undercooked.
INGREDIENTS FOR FRENCH ONION PORK CHOPS
This recipe uses real ingredients and the gravy is SO good!
- Coconut Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Pork Chops
- Salt and Pepper
- Herbs de Provence
- Beef Broth
- Arrowroot Powder
- Mozzarella Cheesed
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH ONION PORK CHOPS
When I can make dinner in one skillet I am a happy camper. The less clean up required the better in my opinion.
STEP ONE: SAUTE ONION
Put half of the coconut oil and half of the butter in a large skillet and turn the heat to medium.
Add the sliced onions and saute for 3-4 minutes or until they are translucent.
Add 1/2 cup of the broth and the balsamic vinegar to the skillet and continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until the onions absorb all the liquid.
STEP TWO: SEASON CHOPS
While the onions are cooking you can season the pork chops.
Season the pork chops with the salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence. If you don’t have herbs de Provence that is fine…the recipe will still turn out good.
STEP THREE: COOK PORK CHOPS
Now remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
Add the rest of the coconut oil and butter to the skillet. Put the seasoned pork chops into the skillet and cook for 4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Add the onions back to the pan.
STEP FOUR: MAKE GRAVY
Stir the arrowroot powder into the remaining 1/2 cup of broth and then add the mixture to the skillet.
Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by half and starts to turn into a thick gravy.
STEP FIVE: ADD CHEESE
Place one slice of mozzarella cheese on top of each pork chop. If you don’t have sliced mozzarella cheese you can use 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese per pork chop instead.
If the cheese doesn’t melt very easily just add a lid to the skillet and that should help it melt. Who doesn’t love chops with cheese??
FRENCH ONION PORK CHOPS RECIPE
I know you are anxious to get started making these french onion smothered pork chops. These are great served with mashed potatoes!
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions via the recipe card below.
French Onion Pork Chops
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 onions sliced
- 4 pork chops boneless
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence optional
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese approximately 1 cup
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Place half of coconut oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute for 3-4 minutes until translucent, then add 1/2 cup broth and the vinegar.
- Continue cooking for about 10 minutes until onions absorb all liquid.
- Meanwhile, season the pork chops with salt, pepper and optional herbs de Provence.
- Remove onions from skillet and add remaining oil and butter.
- Cook pork chops for 4 minutes per side, until well browned. Add the onions back to the pan.
- Stir arrowroot powder into remaining broth and add to pan.
- Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by half and turns into a thick gravy.
- Add one slice of mozzarella cheese (or 1/4 cup shredded) to each pork chop. (If it doesn't melt easily, place a lid on the skillet to assist.)
If you loved this pork recipe be sure to check out these other great pork-based recipes:
- Jamaican Jerk Pork Tenderloin
- Pressure Cooker Irish Pork Stew
- Instant Pot Pork Chops and Apples
- Maple Glazed Baked Pork Chops
Be sure to PIN this for later!