Aside from leprechauns and wearing green, my kids love St. Patrick’s day because they can count on me making one of their favorite desserts–Creme de Menthe brownies. It’s a rare treat since by nature, I’m pretty impatient and don’t generally tackle recipes that require me to wait in between stages.
I also usually try to avoid recipes that require me to dirty more than a couple of dishes. This recipe violates both those rules but it is so worth the time and trouble! I do take a shortcut and use a box mix for the base level of the brownies.
The creme de menthe is already green, but as you can see in the photo the color gets pretty washed out once it’s been mixed in with a bunch of powdered sugar so feel free to add a few drops of green food coloring to the frosting layer to make the green really pronounced.
Creme de Menthe Brownies Recipe
Creme de Menthe Brownies
- 1 box of family size brownie mix 9x13
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened + 6 T butter
- 1 T creme de menthe + 2 T creme de menthe
- green food coloring optional
- 6 oz of semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions but add 1 T creme de menthe to batter before mixing. Let cool completely.
- Mix powdered sugar, 1/2 cup of butter and 2 T creme de menthe together until combined. Add 3-6 drops of green food coloring to achieve desired color and mix well until well blended.
- Spread green frosting layer evenly over brownies. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Melt 6 T butter and chocolate chips in small saucepan over low heat, stirring continuously until chips are melted and sauce is smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over green frosting layer and spread evenly to form the top layer.
- Cool completely. Cut into squares to serve.
More St. Patrick’s Day Ideas
Are you looking for more great St. Patrick’s Day ideas? Check out these fun projects!
Upcycled Yogurt Cups from Organized 31
Burlap Bunting from Feeding Big
16 thoughts on “Creme de Menthe Brownies”
I love the thin mints and those little candy bars…..argh forget their name….oh well, I bet this will be deliciously similar!! Thanks for linking to Turn it up Tuesday. Hope you will stop by our Snickerdoodle Sunday!
I love brownies and I love mint. These are a great combination of both. I can see making them for St. Patricks Day or any day!
I remember my mom making brownies like these and they were delicious. I’ll have to give your recipe a try in time for St. Patrick’s day.
These brownies sounds amazing. I haven’t tried creme de menthe before but if it is anything like the Thin Mint girl scout cookies our family will be in love.
These brownies look absolutely amazing! I may have to make them for my Oscar party this weekend!
These look super delicious! I haven’t tried creme de menthe before, but I really love mint flavor. Have to try out the recipe! Thanks for sharing!