Last Updated on October 27, 2021 by Corinne Schmitt
These Easy Christmas Tree Cupcakes are a delicious treat and adorable party decoration all in one! Dress up your dessert table with these standout desserts, then let guests get their holiday sugar high gobbling these up at the end of the party.
And let’s be honest, how many of us have kids who ONLY eat the frosting off the cupcake? Well, look at that mound of frosting and tell me this isn’t going to be their favorite cupcake ever!
You just might have to limit all other sugar consumption for the rest of the day. And also make sure to have plenty of napkins and wet wipes on hand.
How to Make Christmas Tree Cupcakes
The holiday season is busy so I’ve streamlined this recipe to be as quick and easy as possible. That’s why we’re going to cake a couple of short cuts and use boxed cake mix and prepared frosting.
- 1 box yellow cake mix + ingredients to prepare (egg, oil, and water)
- 3 cans prepared vanilla frosting
- Green gel food coloring
- Christmas Sprinkles
For the sprinkles, you really just need a few different varieties to create the Christmas tree decorations. I linked to a fun one in the ingredient list that includes stars and candy canes. But this one is equally cute and during the holiday season, there are plenty of choices so just choose your favorites!
In addition to the cupcake ingredients, you’ll need the following supplies.
First, we need to bake the cupcakes. Follow the instructions on the box, making sure to cool the cupcakes completely before proceeding.
Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, we need to prepare the frosting. Simply scoop the prepared frosting into a bowl and add green food coloring until the color is a nice, vibrant green.
Add the frosting to a piping bag (or large plastic storage bag), cut 1″ off the tip (or corner) and attach a star decorating tip.
Starting in the center of each cupcake, squeeze the frosting out through the tip and move in a circular pattern working your way out to the edge of the cupcake and back in towards the center as you move up the tree shape.
Now, you just need to add some sprinkles as decorations!
Super easy, right? The end result will earn you a lot of oohs and aahs. It’s up to you whether or not to let them know what a cinch these are to make!
Easy Christmas Tree Cupcakes
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Scoop
- Decorating Bag
- Star Decorating Tip
- Bake the cupcakes according to package directions. Cool completely.
- Scoop frosting into large bowl, add several drops of green gel food coloring. Stir to combine. Continue adding food coloring 1-2 drops at a time, mixing well between each addition, until frosting reaches desired shade.
- Add frosting to piping bag, cut 1' off from the tip, then attach star decorating tip.
- Starting in the center of each cupcake, squeeze the frosting out through the tip and move in a circular pattern working out to the edge of the cupcake and back in towards the center moving up to form a tree.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
More Christmas Treat Ideas
If you really want to deck out your holiday dessert table, make all of these fun Christmas treats.
Be sure to PIN this recipe so you can come back and make it again!