Seriously, all it takes is about 10 minutes to decorate all 12 cupcakes and you’re done. So, they’re basically the perfect cupcakes for a Christmas party at school because you can have them done as your racing out the door.
I feel like these cupcakes are even easy enough that I’m pretty sure a kiddo could make these easy Christmas lights cupcakes. If your kiddo can squeeze a decorating bag, they can help make these.
Even if they’re not able to squeeze the black writing gel, they can definitely put the sprinkles on the top of the cupcake.
So, this is definitely a recipe worth letting them help make!
What You Need
- 1 box of your favorite white cake mix
- 1 can of your favorite vanilla frosting
- Black Gel Writing Icing
- Christmas Stars and Multicolored Ball Sprinkles
- Decorating Bag and Star Tip
How to Make Christmas Lights Cupcakes
Follow the directions on the cake mix box for cupcakes.
Be sure to cool the cupcakes completely before decorating. Warm cupcakes will melt the frosting and leave you with a mess!
With your largest decorating tip, press into the top of the cupcake off-center, creating a well. Save hole tops.
Fill each hole with Christmas sprinkles.
Replace hole top on each cupcake.
Place star tip in a piping bag, then fill with icing.
Frost each cupcake in a swirl, turning the piping bag as you pipe.
Add a random swirly line of black writing gel on the top of the cupcake. You don’t have to be too precise since you want each cupcake to be unique.
Add random color round sprinkles to the black writing gel line to create the Christmas lights.
Enjoy! Serve them up with some hot cocoa and wander the neighborhood to check out your neighbor’s Christmas lights and holiday decorations.
Christmas Lights Cupcake Recipe
Christmas Lights Cupcakes
- Cupcake pan
- Cupcake Liners
- Decorating Bag
- Star Decorating Tip
- Follow the instructions on the cake mix box to make cupcakes. After baking, set aside to cool completely.
- Press the non-decorative side of a large decorating tip into the top of each cupcake to form a well. Save the pieces.
- Fill each hole with Christmas sprinkles. Then, replace the reserved cupcake pieces to cover the holes.
- Place the star tip on a piping bag and fill the bag with frosting. Starting on the outer edge of each cupcake, pipe in a circular pattern working in towards the center of the cupcake.
- Use the black gel writing icing to draw a haphazard line that travels around the tops of each cupcake.
- Add colored ball sprinkles at even intervals along the line.
Other Great Christmas Cupcake Recipes
If you love this easy Christmas lights cupcake Recipe, but you’re not quite ready to heat up the oven, just pin this to your favorite cupcake recipes board on Pinterest so you can find it quick later!