These adorable cupcake angels are a fun, yet subtle treat for a Christmas party or baptism. Muted colors adorned with a totally cute, peaceful angel — subdued doesn’t have to mean boring!
The best thing about these cupcake angels is that they are so easy to make using yummy snacks and treats that you won’t have any trouble convincing the kids to eat up after you’ve made the angels.
What You Need
- 24 cupcakes
- 1 container prepared white frosting
- White decorating sugar
- 48 mini pretzel twists (2 per cupcake)
- 24 Oreo cookies (1 per cupcake)
- 24 pineapple-flavored Lifesaver candies (1 per cupcake)
- White candy melts or vanilla flavored almond bark
- Chocolate candy melts or chocolate flavored almond bark
In addition to the ingredients above, you’ll also need a few other items:
- Large open star tip
- Piping bags
How to Make Cupcake Angels
Since this recipe isn’t necessarily about creating an award-winning gourmet cupcake, but focusing on the cute decorative topper instead, we’re beginning our tutorial after you’ve already made a batch of white cupcakes.
You can either use a box mix or you can use the vanilla cupcake recipe I use for these Olaf cupcakes. After you’ve made the cupcakes, set them aside to cool completely while you make the angels.
Make Chocolate Covered Pretzels
We’re going to start with the angel wings — the mini pretzel twists. Since angels have white wings, we need to coat the pretzels in white chocolate.
First, line a baking sheet with waxed paper so you’ll have somewhere to set the chocolate dipped pretzels to cool.
Melt the white chocolate according to package directions. Be careful not to overheat so it doesn’t get lumpy. You can add a teaspoon of coconut oil to the chocolate to give it a thinner, creamy texture.
Dip the pretzel twists in melted candy, allowing excess to drip back into the bowl. Place the pretzels on waxed paper until dry.
Make Chocolate Covered Oreos
Before you get mad about all that remaining melted white chocolate, don’t worry — we still need it!
Dip each Oreo cookie in the white chocolate, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Set the cookie on waxed paper and immediately add the Lifesaver candy as a halo.
Draw Angel Faces
Now it’s time to draw peaceful facial expressions onto our cupcake angels.
In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate according to package directions. Again, be careful not to overheat.
Using a toothpick, draw two half circles on the uncoated portion of each cookies to be the eyes and a larger dot as the mouth. Allow to dry completely.
Assemble Cupcake Angels
It’s finally time to put everything together! Pipe frosting on each cupcake using an open star tip.
Sprinkle white sparking sugar on each cupcake, then place one angel head on the top.
Add two pretzels, one on either side of the Oreo, to each cupcake.
That’s it! You’re angelic desserts are ready to serve to your friends and family.
Heavenly Cupcake Angels
- Star Decorating Tip
- Piping Bag
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Melt white chocolate according to package directions making sure not to overheat.
- Dip the pretzel twists in the melted white chocolate, letting excess to drip back into the bowl. Place the pretzels on waxed paper until dry.
- Dip Oreo cookies in the melted white chocolate, letting excess to drip back into the bowl. Place the cookie on waxed paper and immediately add the Lifesaver candy as a halo. Allow to dry completely.
- Melt chocolate candy or almond bark according to package directions making sure not to overheat.
- Using a toothpick, draw two half circles on each cookie to be the eyes and a larger dot as the mouth. Allow to dry completely.
- Pipe frosting on each cupcake using an open star tip. Sprinkle with white sugar. Place one angel head on the top of each cupcake and place two pretzels on either side of each cookie.
If you enjoyed this recipe, remember to pin it so you can find it later!