Every time I find my clothes fitting a little too snug, I fine tune my diet by drinking more water, eating more fruits and veggies, and starting my day with oatmeal. The only problem is, a few days into this renewed healthy eating regimen, oatmeal gets really boring and being too lazy to whip up a healthy egg white breakfast alternative on a daily basis, this is where my diet gets sidetracked. To delay this eventual backslide into unhealthy eating habits, I try to get creative with my oatmeal so that it doesn’t seem like I’m eating the same thing every morning. Here are my more successful attempts.
I prefer steel cut oats so I usually make a big batch at the beginning of the week and reheat a small portion each day. If I buy instant oatmeal, I buy plain to avoid added sugar, but I will sometimes add stevia for sweetness. This lets me play with some savory flavors so I can really expand my options.
- Cinnamon + applesauce + raisins
- Dried cranberries + pistachios
- Brown sugar + chopped walnuts
- Jam or jelly + chopped nuts
- Frozen berries + Greek yogurt
- Cottage cheese + crushed pineapple
- Crushed pineapple + mandarin orange slices + shredded coconut
- Peanut butter + sliced banana
- Peanut butter + honey
- Peanut butter + Nutella
- Nutella + sliced banana
- Pumpkin puree + cinnamon + nutmeg
- Turkey bacon (crumbled) + shredded cheddar cheese
- Fried egg (or egg whites) + turkey bacon
- Sautéed mushrooms + sautéed onions + thyme
- Sautéed chopped spinach + feta cheese
- Shredded carrots + honey and/or brown sugar
- Black beans + frozen corn kernels + avocado + cumin + chili powder
- Ricotta cheese + diced tomatoes + basil
- Coffee + vanilla extract
Do you have your own favorite oatmeal variation? Please share it in the comments.
Get Your FREE Black Friday/Cyber Monday Planning Kit